Posted to dev@subversion.apache.org by Nicolás Lichtmaier <ni...@reloco.com.ar> on 2004/05/15 17:41:05 UTC

Problem with merge and a deleted file

I'm getting this error while trying to merge back something to the trunk
from a branch:

svn: Use --force to override this restriction
svn: 'AltaDisponibilidad/Scripts/src/reubicar_servicio.c' is not under
version control

That file was deleted in the "trunk". Why can't subversion cope with
this? (probably handling this as a conflict and carrying on) Isn't this
a bug?

Thanks!

Re: Problem with merge and a deleted file

Posted by Ben Collins-Sussman <su...@collab.net>.
On Sat, 2004-05-15 at 12:41, Nicolás Lichtmaier wrote:
> I'm getting this error while trying to merge back something to the trunk
> from a branch:
>
> svn: Use --force to override this restriction
> svn: 'AltaDisponibilidad/Scripts/src/reubicar_servicio.c' is not under
> version control
>
> That file was deleted in the "trunk". Why can't subversion cope with
> this? (probably handling this as a conflict and carrying on) Isn't this
> a bug?

You need to give a complete transcript.  Your description is too vague
to diagnose.

If you specify a merge command incorrectly, it's very easy to create a
"patch" which doesn't apply cleanly to your working copy.  But we can't
make any guesses unless we see a transcript.