Posted to users@maven.apache.org by Fred Foucart <ff...@gmail.com> on 2007/01/15 11:47:19 UTC

Standard directory layout

Hello everybody,

I need to define a specific Maven layout for the following application:

The code is generated from an Uml modelling tool.
It generates sources and xml files. The XML files are needed for the next
tool that we are going to use.

Our actual directory layout is like this:

-project
    -src(generated sources)
    -descriptors(XML files)

The next step is to use an another tool that generates specific sources in
order to obtain the final classes(For persistence for example). This code is
generated from "src" and "descriptors"

The directory layout is now like this:

-project
     -src
     -fwk-impl(generated sources for the specific tool)
     -descriptors
     -classes (Binary code from src and fwk-impl)

My aim is to use the standard Maven layout. My main question is where to put
the "descriptors" and the "fwk-impl" directories ?

Thank you for your help.

Re: Standard directory layout

Posted by Raphaël Piéroni <ra...@gmail.com>.
Hi Fred,

I will try to answer your question by giving an exemple.

A typical maven directory structure for a project using modello (a source
generator tool) is :
- project
  - src
    - main
      - java  (here are the manually created java sources)
      - mdo (here are the modello descriptors which have mdo extension)

After the maven build you have another directory
- project
  - target
    - generated-sources
      - mdo (here are the java files generated by modello)
    - classes (here are the compiled class files from the manual sources and
the generated sources)

Hope this helps.

Raphaël

Posted by Fred Foucart <ff...@gmail.com>.
Thank you for your helpful answers.
I now have the solution. I'm gonna use the generated-sources directory(I
don't have any plugin yet for the generation tool)

Regards,
Fred

Posted by Ian Springer <ia...@jboss.com>.
http://maven.apache.org/guides/introduction/introduction-to-the-standard
-directory-layout.html

Sp, assuming you're checking in the UML-generated sources and
descriptors, your layout might look something like:

- src/main/java
- src/main/descriptors
- target/classes

To invoke your custom generator, you'll want to use either the antrun
plugin or a custom plugin for the generation tool (if one exists). The
generated classes you could generate to target/classes, along with the
the main classes.

| > |
| > | I need to define a specific Maven layout for the following
| > | application:
| > |
| > | The code is generated from an Uml modelling tool.
| > | It generates sources and xml files. The XML files are
| needed for the
| > | next tool that we are going to use.
| > |
| > | Our actual directory layout is like this:
| > |
| > | -project
| > |     -src(generated sources)
| > |     -descriptors(XML files)
| > |
| > | The next step is to use an another tool that generates specific
| > | sources in order to obtain the final classes(For persistence for
| > | example). This code is generated from "src"
| > | and "descriptors"
| > |
| > | The directory layout is now like this:
| > |
| > | -project
| > |      -src
| > |      -fwk-impl(generated sources for the specific tool)
| > |      -descriptors
| > |      -classes (Binary code from src and fwk-impl)
| > |
| > | My aim is to use the standard Maven layout. My main question is
| > | where to put the "descriptors" and the "fwk-impl" directories ?
| > |
| > | Thank you for your help.
| > |

Re: Standard directory layout