Posted to user@struts.apache.org by "Deadman, Hal" <ha...@tallan.com> on 2001/06/18 16:51:35 UTC

java report article says "bye-bye struts"

Clearly there are too many java magazines and they will publish anything. In
the July issue of Java Report there is an article titled "Writing a Reusable
Implementation of the MVC Design Pattern" by Prashant Sarode from Brience.
It's interesting because it has a section title of "Bye-Bye Struts". The
section starts out as follows:

"While the Struts framework is a powerful idea, it is not yet a product.
Although excellent in dealing with Web-based applications, Struts is not
ready to take on EJB."

There are other gems in the article but I won't reproduce them all here.

The premise of the article is that the author went looking for an MVC
framework. He found the Blueprint document and liked that but it was too
complicated. He then found Struts but apparently it didn't meet his need for
"a reusable implementation of the MVC pattern." Prashant must be a hard man
to please. I think he wants one framework that can be used for both web
applications and desktop applications. Personally I would rather share the
model components and let my MVC framworks be a little less abstract and more
useful to the task at hand.

I couldn't find the article on-line. I just skimmed the rest of the article
because it it was hard to concentrate or take it seriously after the Bye-Bye
Struts section.

Hal