Posted to users@maven.apache.org by madhavb <bh...@gmail.com> on 2012/09/26 15:51:35 UTC

Option fork=true

What does this option mean in various contexts? Where do I find meaning of
all options?

Thanks in advance,
Madhav

Re: Option fork=true

Posted by Baptiste MATHUS <ml...@batmat.net>.
Hi,
It would be better that you ask a specific question, or at least list the
plugins you saw that option in. That would help give you a better answer.
In the context of Maven terms, forking mainly allows you to redefine things
you couldn't do normally if you stay in the current JVM instance.
Or define things cleanly only for some steps without risking to pollute the
rest of the build with it.

Imagine your build is globally taking ~100MB, but that you have some tests
that need a lot of memory. Or even some particular environments variables
at the JVM level, or whatever.
You may be aware that it's impossible to redefine Xmx value on a running
JVM.
Forking will let you achieve that need. Even more, if you set 200MB for
your tests having forked, but you actually need 500MB, *only* your tests
are going to fail with an OutOfMemoryError.
Without forking, that would be the whole maven build.

Is it a bit clearer?

Cheers