Posted to dev@karaf.apache.org by drdwo <dr...@yahoo.de> on 2016/01/12 16:41:51 UTC

karaf 4 feature caching for SNAPSHOT versions

Regarding karaf 4 feature caching, what is the intended behavior?

I would expect for releases, that a changed feature will be installed in
case of a version change.
But for snapshots I would expect, that a changed feature will be installed
even in case
the snapshot version didn't change.

Seems this isn't the case, is this a bug or a feature of karaf?

Did the following:

create SimpleRoute-feature, version = 5.0.0.SNAPSHOT

publish SimpleRoute-feature to Nexus

feature:install SimpleRoute-feature
feature:uninstall SimpleRoute-feature

change SimpleRoute-feature (no version change)
publish SimpleRoute-feature to Nexus

feature:repo-refresh

feature:install SimpleRoute-feature

expected: changed feature deployed, but it is still the old one.

Re: karaf 4 feature caching for SNAPSHOT versions

Posted by Jean-Baptiste Onofré <jb...@nanthrax.net>.
Hi,

It looks like a bug, maybe related to default configuration in
etc/org.ops4j.pax.url.mvn.cfg and resolver.

Let me try to reproduce with a simple test case, and eventually create a
Jira.

By the way, I think it's better to post this kind of question on the
user mailing list.

Regards
JB

On 01/12/2016 04:41 PM, drdwo wrote:
> Regarding karaf 4 feature caching, what is the intended behavior?
>
> I would expect for releases, that a changed feature will be installed in
> case of a version change.
> But for snapshots I would expect, that a changed feature will be installed
> even in case
> the snapshot version didn't change.
>
> Seems this isn't the case, is this a bug or a feature of karaf?
>
> Did the following:
>
> create SimpleRoute-feature, version = 5.0.0.SNAPSHOT
>
> publish SimpleRoute-feature to Nexus
>
> feature:install SimpleRoute-feature
> feature:uninstall SimpleRoute-feature
>
> change SimpleRoute-feature (no version change)
> publish SimpleRoute-feature to Nexus
>
> feature:repo-refresh
>
> feature:install SimpleRoute-feature
>
> expected: changed feature deployed, but it is still the old one.

Jean-Baptiste Onofré
jbonofre@apache.org
http://blog.nanthrax.net
Talend - http://www.talend.com

Re: karaf 4 feature caching for SNAPSHOT versions

Posted by Jean-Baptiste Onofré <jb...@nanthrax.net>.
Hi,

I just tried different scenario:

Change on features.xml
-----------------------

1. I have a features.xml containing test 1.0-SNAPSHOT feature just
installing commons-lang 2.6 bundle.
2. I do feature:repo-add then feature:install test: commons-lang bundle
is installed.
3. I change test 1.0-SNAPSHOT feature to install commons-lang and
commons-codec 1.9 bundle.
4. I do feature:uninstall test, then feature:repo-refresh, and finally
feature:install test
5. Both commons-lang and commons-codec bundles are installed.
=> it works as expected (I also tested using "remote" Maven repository,
add maven.nanthrax.net to etc/org.ops4j.pax.url.mvn.cfg)

Change on a bundle referenced in a features.xml

1. I have a features.xml containing test 1.0-SNAPSHOT feature with a
simple bundle (just displaying "Start ONE" in the activator).
2. I add the feature repo and install the test feature: I see "Start
ONE" in the Karaf console.
3. I uninstall the test feature
4. I update the activator to display "Start TWO" and deploy the new feature.
5. I do repo-refresh and install the test feature: I see "Start TWO" in
the Karaf console.
=> it works as expected.

I did these tests using feature xmlns 1.3.0, with Karaf 4.1.0-SNAPSHOT
(default etc/org.ops4j.pax.url.mvn.cfg).

Using Karaf 4.0.4: same behavior
Using Karaf 4.0.5-SNAPSHOT: same behavior

I'm not able to reproduce your issue, I suspect something related to
your SimpleRoute-feature (maybe the namespace). I gonna test with your
artifact.