Posted to fop-dev@xmlgraphics.apache.org by Glenn Adams <gl...@skynav.com> on 2013/10/18 04:43:03 UTC

Informal FOP Users/Developers/Sponsors Meeting

Dear FOP Users and Developers,

I will be visiting Basis Technology [1] in Cambridge, Massachusetts during
the week of Oct 28 through Nov 1, who has sponsored my work on FOP,
especially the Complex Script support. Basis has agreed to host an informal
meeting of parties interested in FOP, including users, developers, or
sponsors or potential sponsors.

I would like to determine if there is an interest in having people attend a
half to full day meeting during that week, which would be organized along
an *unconference* style. Some of the topics that I would like to talk about
include:

   - future work on complex script support, e.g., fixing bidi issues,
   adding additional script support;
   - PDF extensions, such as support for inter- and intra-page transitions
   and layers (optional content groups)
   - how to increase interest and use of FOP
   - how to increase levels of sponsorship on the core work of maintaining
   and enhancing FOP

Please let me know if you are interested in attending, which day of that
week would be best for you, and any additional topics you would like to
explore.

I realize this is rather short notice, but let's see if there is sufficient
interest.

Regards,
Glenn

[1] http://www.basistech.com/

RE: Informal FOP Users/Developers/Sponsors Meeting

Posted by Jan Tosovsky <j....@email.cz>.
On 2013-10-18 Glenn Adams wrote:

> I will be visiting Basis Technology [1] in Cambridge, Massachusetts
> during the week of Oct 28 through Nov 1, who has sponsored my work on
> FOP, especially the Complex Script support. Basis has agreed to host an
> informal meeting of parties interested in FOP, including users,
> developers, or sponsors or potential sponsors.
>
> I would like to determine if there is an interest in having people
> attend a half to full day meeting during that week, which would be
> organized along an unconference style. Some of the topics that I would
> like to talk about include:
>
> *	future work on complex script support, e.g., fixing bidi issues,
> adding additional script support;
> *	PDF extensions, such as support for inter- and intra-page
> transitions and layers (optional content groups)
> *	how to increase interest and use of FOP
> *	how to increase levels of sponsorship on the core work of
> maintaining and enhancing FOP

Is there any outcome from this discussion?

Are there any plans to improve both the code base and engaging developers/sponsors?

Thanks, Jan

Re: Informal FOP Users/Developers/Sponsors Meeting

Posted by Clay Leeds <th...@gmail.com>.
Likewise for Los Angeles & Southern California.

In any event, since we can't all be there it might make sense to do a join me or other video conference meeting while you're there in Mass (en masse? ;-).

It was fun to meet Glenn Mazza once upon a time in San Diego at ApacheCon.
Cheers!

Clay

--

"My religion is simple. My religion is kindness."
- HH The Dalai Lama of Tibet

Posted by Chris Bowditch <bo...@hotmail.com>.
Hi Glenn,

Posted by Glenn Adams <gl...@skynav.com>.
Just a train ride away. :)

Posted by Bonekrusher <dj...@yahoo.com>.

Posted by Glenn Adams <gl...@skynav.com>.
Thanks for asking. There were insufficient responders to justify a meeting.
Many of the users/developers are in Europe. Perhaps something can be
organized in the not-too-distant future that could bring together FOP Devs
and Users.

Regards,
Glenn