Posted to derby-user@db.apache.org by Joachim G Stumpf <jo...@de.ibm.com> on 2005/09/01 15:36:59 UTC

Re: Derby and Triggers

Hi Kristian,
thanks for your answer, but i want to avoid breaking one transaction into
2.
The syntax before trigger is available , but there is nothing inside how
to change or provide data to the actual insert that should happen after
the trigger is fired.
I don't want to do an additional insert.
There is no sample which describes how to do this.

mfg
Joachim Stumpf
Please respond to "Derby Discussion" <de...@db.apache.org>
To:     Derby Discussion <de...@db.apache.org>
cc:
Subject:        Re: Derby and Triggers

Hello,

I have found using triggers in Derby a little difficult myself. There
are several things to watch out for. I will try to give you a few
pointers to get you going, but I am no expert, and would appreciate if
someone with more knowledge corrected me and provided further information.

For your information, the CREATE TRIGGER statement is described in the
Reference manual and more information can be found in the Developer's
Guide.

First of all, you can only specify a single SQL statement for the
trigger. You can have several triggers for the same event on the same
table. If you can't express the required actions in a single SQL
statement, or with multple triggers, you can write a database-side JDBC
procedure and invoke it in the trigger.

Second, a trigger with (NO CASCADE) BEFORE does not allow UPDATE, INSERT
or DELETE statements as the triggered SQL statement.

So my proposal for the trigger, which I am very uncertain if is the best
one, is:

CREATE TRIGGER ATV_tr1
   AFTER INSERT
   ON tab1
   REFERENCES NEW AS NEW
   FOR EACH ROW MODE DB2SQL
     UPDATE tab1 SET neu_date = CURRENT_DATE
       WHERE tab1.'some-unique-field' = NEW.'some-uniqe-field';

Is there a way to operate only on the affected row(s), instead of using
the WHERE clause to select to correct row?

Other comments?

--
Kristian

http://www-106.ibm.com/developerworks/forums/dw_forum.jsp?forum=492&cat=19