Posted to dev@usergrid.apache.org by Dave <sn...@gmail.com> on 2014/07/14 22:21:41 UTC

Re: Short and Long Term Issues on Chop

Hi Yigit and others,

I getting started with Chop today and hoping to use it to automate running
the Core Persistence performance. First, I'd like to get a simple example
project working with Chop, so I can understand how things fit together.

Are there any getting started and installation documents around? Is the
project README completely out of date or are there some parts that are
still valid.

My approach so far is to 1) get the Chop webapp running locally and 2) get
the Chop Example project working with the webapp and AWS. I have figured
out how to build and run the webapp (using -e for embedded ES) and I do not
see any errors, but I can't figure out how to access the app. Any hints?

I'm happy to document the steps I take, but I might need some pointers
along the way.

Thanks,
- Dave

Posted by Askhat Asanaliev <aa...@safehaus.org>.
Hi Dave,

The VaadinServlet warning is not related to the main problem here as "Not
all runners are registered". We can get those kind of Vaadin logs while the
tests are running normally. So it is safe to ignore them.

About the main problem - Furkan or Yigit could help out more. They know the
backend better than me.

Regards,
Askat

Posted by Salih Kardan <sa...@gmail.com>.
Hi Dave,

more inline ...

I'm going to try that because I want to get Chop working today, but I would
> like to know how to create a Chop Webapp instance from scratch and not
> starting from a pre-built AMI. Is any of the AMI creation process
> documented or automated?  Is there some keystore setup that needs to be
> done or configured on the webapp instance?

I have updated the Readme.md
<https://github.com/salihkardan/ChoppedCassandraTests/blob/master/README.md>
file of my example project so that you can create an AMI
from scratch by following the steps there.

Also, it is not legal to redistribute Oracle's JDK in the form of an AMI,
> or any other medium. So, those AMIs should really be removed from public
> access.

Thanks for the heads up. I have removed that AMI from public access.

> Since we cannot assume that runners have Java installed, and we need need
> to provide a "setupScripts" list for runners just as we do for instances in
> a cluster. A setup script can do the right thing to obtain and install the
> Oracle JDK.  I have some time to add this feature. Thoughts?

 Thanks Dave, I have created a issue on JIRA and I will implement this
functionality.
 https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/USERGRID-195

Regards,
Salih