Posted to users@maven.apache.org by Fabien Benoit <fa...@gmail.com> on 2006/05/18 13:02:29 UTC

third party jars in local repository only

Hello,

I'm using Maven 2.0.4 and i have trouble in building a local repository.

After having installed some third party jars to my local repository,
using...

mvn install:install-file -Dfile=<path-to-file> -DgroupId=<group-id> \
    -DartifactId=<artifact-id> -Dversion=<version> -Dpackaging=<packaging>

...the correct directories are created and the jar is copied but I've
noticed that no POMs file
are created (do I have to create them manually, to declare their transitive
dependencies?).
In addition maven tries to download then from ibiblio each time I run a
compilation (and
of course it fails to find them). But the compilation is successful.

Btw, these jars comes from the Jboss application server (ejbs API and web
services).

Do I need a true remote repository, referenced in settings.xml ? Or is a
local repository sufficient
for playing with third party jars ?

Thanks.

Re: third party jars in local repository only

Posted by Alexandre Poitras <al...@gmail.com>.
I think it's because you forgot "-DgeneratePom=true". Should fix the
problem. Or you can always write the pom by hand if you need to
specify some transitive dependencies and specify it using
"-DpomFile=mypom". It's more work but more reliable :)

Another advice, keep a fresh copy of your files or use an internal
corporate repository because it's hard to remember exactly what you
have installed in there and so what you need to start building your
project on another desktop.

Hope it's help!