Posted to dev@tomcat.apache.org by Mladen Turk <mt...@apache.org> on 2005/05/10 11:33:56 UTC

JK 1.2.12 is broken and can not be released as stable

There was a nasty bug in load balancer, that basically
broke the failover.

Interesting is that it was spotted only when the release
was made, so this gives one reason more for making some
sort of releases and binaries to attract more users to
actually do the testing.

My question is what to do?
I would really hate to wait for a month or so for the next release,
and obviously we can not declare the 1.2.12 as stable due to this bug.
We can retag and release 1.2.13, or just wait if something else
will arise and have some vacation in the mean time :).

Bill will love this, for sure ;)

Regards,
Mladen.

Re: JK 1.2.12 is broken and can not be released as stable

Posted by Henri Gomez <he...@gmail.com>.
Well the JK 1.2 branch should be fixed and when we'll have something
stable, we could start a new branch.

BTW, there was many bugs related to LB in jk for ages :-)

Posted by Klaus Wagner <kl...@it-austria.net>.

Posted by Günter Knauf <fu...@apache.org>.
Hi,

> What is the thought, is 1.2.10 stable?  1.2.8?  Or 1.2.6?  I'm partial
> to 1.2.8 myself.
from what I see in our NetWare forums I can only agree to Klaus and say that everything after 1.2.6 has some kind of issues - that was also the reason why I dint move the NetWare bins to its place until yesterday...
also it seems that currently many of our NetWare users dont want to test next round since they tested already 1.2.8 and 1.2.10 and had to go back to 1.2.6....

Guenter.

Re: JK 1.2.12 is broken and can not be released as stable

Posted by Mark Thomas <ma...@apache.org>.
William A. Rowe, Jr. wrote:
> Truly hope it helps.  Sorry for having to route through rowe-clan,
> it seems tomcat-dev hates my apache.org persona.  (tomcat cvs did
> not complain, but it's forwarded onto tomcat-dev.)

This should now be fixed. Let me know if it isn't.

Mark

Re: JK 1.2.12 is broken and can not be released as stable

Posted by "William A. Rowe, Jr." <wr...@rowe-clan.net>.
Ok, all of the file ^M fixes within jakarta-tomcat-connectors
are finished.  I added the /Oy- flag as there was unanimous
concensus for -that- change.  I left out the /Gs0 since legit
concerns were raised.  Think we are ready for a tarball :)

-kb files which should not have been are now -ko.  It's easier
than diddling the ,v files directly, and I've never found the
cvs admin magic to take away the -k flag altogether.

You need a clean checkout to observe the actual tree, cvs up
does a lousy job of picking up -k flag changes.

Win32 images should be checked out on win32 cvs.  Short of that,
there is also some lovely magic in apr/build/lineends.pl that
fixes only files it should touch.  (This works on unix to take
in win32 files, and on win32 to take in unix files.)

Unix users can now feel free to modify .dsp files etc as needed,
without playing ^M games.

Truly hope it helps.  Sorry for having to route through rowe-clan,
it seems tomcat-dev hates my apache.org persona.  (tomcat cvs did
not complain, but it's forwarded onto tomcat-dev.)

Bill

Re: JK 1.2.12 is broken and can not be released as stable

Posted by "William A. Rowe, Jr." <wr...@rowe-clan.net>.
At 04:33 AM 5/10/2005, Mladen Turk wrote:

>Interesting is that it was spotted only when the release
>was made, so this gives one reason more for making some
>sort of releases and binaries to attract more users to
>actually do the testing.

Agreed that development releases (early and often) are a very
good thing.  They need the same 3 +1 votes (more + than -) but
have a much lower barrier of entry.  (Is it tar'red complete?
Does it build?  Do some basic regressions work?)

>We can retag and release 1.2.13, or just wait if something else
>will arise and have some vacation in the mean time :).

I'd suggest  1) tag 1.2.13 with any bug fixes in the past week
or two.  Give me this evening to commit a small tweak to the Win32
.dsp project compile flags, which emit much more legible user.dmp
crash analysis output.  (I found this out over the weekend.)
2) let it ride - skip adding any new features till it shakes out,
at least to 1.2.  If someone wants to add some new stuff, make a
CVS branch to develop it on, or fork 1.3 already depending on the
desired patches.  3) wait for something else to arise, put together
the docs on the newest features, and in, say, 3 weeks after 1.2.13
is announced, bless 1.2.14 as the next stable release.  And 4) pull
down 1.2.11 which was never released (according to your judgement)
and 1.2.12 (which is broke, and obviously confuses users who were
used to the odds-evens system of dev and stable tarballs.)  If they
are needed by the occasional user, archive.apache.org/dist/ is the
place to look.

What is the thought, is 1.2.10 stable?  1.2.8?  Or 1.2.6?  I'm partial
to 1.2.8 myself.

>Bill will love this, for sure ;)

Nope - I hoped 1.2.12 would pan out, I just wasn't planning to
endorse it for another three weeks or so.

Bill