Posted to users@maven.apache.org by "M. Sean Gilligan" <se...@msgilligan.com> on 2004/11/22 21:36:19 UTC

Put 30 legacy jars in a Maven repository?

Hi,

I have about 30 jars that came from different places that I'm using in a complex built that we are migrating to maven.  What I'd like to do is build a list/database/xml-doc that lists the 30 jars by pathname, gives a groupId, artifactId, and version for each, then have a maven.xml goal that uploads them all to my private maven repository.

I would rather not create 30 maven subproject directories with POMs in them.

What is the best way to do this?

Thanks,

Sean

Re: Put 30 legacy jars in a Maven repository?

Posted by Mark Lowe <me...@gmail.com>.
I don't know what the best way is. But I have a repository on out
staging server.. when i need to stage apps, i just build on the remote
server and it builds the respoitory for me (i set the directory to
/www/maven (or the equivalent). The local repository on the staging
server is the same as when it acts as our remote repository.

Might be helpful might not be..

Mark

Posted by Julien Kirch <j....@laposte.net>.
Eric Giguere wrote:

 > Its definitely overkill to produce a maven project for them all IMHO.

With a good inheritrance, a inherited project is just 10 or so lines
long, and it's usefull when dependencies are starting to move around,
not mentioning dashboard and other information collecting stuffs.

Julien

Re: Put 30 legacy jars in a Maven repository?

Posted by Eric Giguere <er...@videotron.ca>.
Hi
I also had to cope with the same number of "foreign" jars and a legacy
Ant script to build everything.
In my case, there was also a number of "known" jars like log4j,
commons-beanutils and other like that but unknown version.

Instead of having them all under an "internal" group id, this is what I did:

1- try to find what is the real verison of the jar if its a known one
(like log4j for instace, was part of it) and rename then with the right
version in the name. The manifest file in the jar can be helpfull.
2- for those of unknown source and/or version, deploy them on your
internal repository and give them whatever version number you feel
giving it.
3- for those that we build, I'm still using the Ant code initially
written but its part of a single maven project. I use the "main" project
version that I then use to produce the jars. These jars and then
deployed on the local repository. The original Ant code was copied in
the maven.xml and some jelly code was added to rename jars using maven
supplied version number.

Its definitely overkill to produce a maven project for them all IMHO.

Hope it helps
Eric.

Posted by Konstantin Priblouda <kp...@yahoo.com>.
wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I have about 30 jars that came from different places
> that I'm using in a complex built that we are
> migrating to maven.  What I'd like to do is build a
> list/database/xml-doc that lists the 30 jars by
> pathname, gives a groupId, artifactId, and version
> for each, then have a maven.xml goal that uploads
> them all to my private maven repository.
>
> I would rather not create 30 maven subproject
> directories with POMs in them.
>
> What is the best way to do this?

Not sure whether this is the best aproach, but
recently
I learned about project:
http://sourceforge.net/projects/maven-proxy-war/

which claims to be nice local maven repository with
fancy GUI and proxy capabilities...

Maybe it has something  for you?

regards,

=====
----[ Konstantin Pribluda ( ko5tik ) ]----------------
... Sucht gerade nach neuen Projekt oder Festanstelung....
Plugins for xdoclet-2 are released. check it out at:
http://www.sourceforge.net/projects/xdoclet-plugins/