Posted to hdfs-dev@hadoop.apache.org by Jitendra Pandey <ji...@hortonworks.com> on 2018/04/24 02:25:52 UTC

[RESULT][VOTE] Merge HDDS (HDFS-7240) *code* into trunk

The vote passes with many +1s (12 committers + 5 contributors) and no -1.

Thanks everyone for voting.

    On 4/17/18, 5:19 AM, "Jitendra Pandey" <ji...@hortonworks.com> wrote:

        Hi All,

           The community unanimously voted (https://s.apache.org/HDDSMergeResult) to adopt
        HDDS/Ozone as a sub-project of Hadoop, here is the formal vote for code merge.

        Here is a quick summary of the code changes:

        - As decided in the JIRA HDFS-10419, the project has been renamed to Hadoop Distributed Data Store or HDDS.
        - HDDS becomes a sub-project of Hadoop.
        - Added a Maven profile that disables HDDS compilation by default.
        - The releases of HDDS will be independent of Hadoop and will have no impact to current Hadoop release process.
        - We have made HDDS a loadable module.
        - Cleaned up changes in HDFS/Hadoop Common to make sure HDDS does not impact current users of HDFS.

        The vote will run for 7 days, I will start this vote with my +1.

        Thanks
        Jitendra

Re: [RESULT][VOTE] Merge HDDS (HDFS-7240) *code* into trunk

Posted by Brahma Reddy Battula <br...@apache.org>.
Sorry for landing late.

Adding separate repo using "git submodule" wn't be good idea here, to get
history/track commits for better maintaince..?

Reference:
http://blog.joncairns.com/2011/10/how-to-use-git-submodules/

--Brahma Reddy Battula

Re: [RESULT][VOTE] Merge HDDS (HDFS-7240) *code* into trunk

Posted by Xiaoyu Yao <xy...@hortonworks.com>.

Posted by Jitendra Pandey <ji...@hortonworks.com>.
+1, Thanks Owen!

Posted by Chris Douglas <cd...@apache.org>.

Posted by Owen O'Malley <ow...@gmail.com>.
Ok, it was bad enough that I spent yesterday afternoon hacking a fix for it.

I basically did a git rebase with always picking the current master version
and then put a new fixup commit to bring the branches into sync.

The original - https://github.com/omalley/hadoop/tree/hdfs-7240
The rebase hack - https://github.com/omalley/hadoop/tree/hdfs-7240-rebase

Compare the git log --graph difference for one of the recent commits:

| * | | | | | | | | | | | | | | | | | | | | | | | commit
919ae746c3a4a424a77e6359af0abe3d7d2c1541
17:17:03 2017 +0800

From: Owen O'Malley <ow...@gmail.com>
Date: Wednesday, April 25, 2018 at 11:15 AM
To: Chris Douglas <cd...@apache.org>