Posted to general@lucene.apache.org by saibatchu <sa...@gmail.com> on 2013/09/11 02:11:24 UTC

new here.need help

Hello I'm a student from Texas tech university. I'm having a project to
develop an online information retrieval system like "Google" for my
university. Any valid user will be able to upload documents into our cloud
memory and retrieve them. I'm planning to use Lucene index for that
retrieval of documents. The data in our cloud memory will be large. is it a
good idea to use lucene index for retrieval.. I need your help...
 Any sort of response is great and any help is appreciated ..
Thanks, Sai

Re: new here.need help

Posted by Rich Haase <rd...@gmail.com>.
Yep.  Lets stop using IR systems because the NSA uses them.  Better yet, if we all stop using technology at all then no one can watch our use.

Sent from my iPhone

Re: new here.need help

Posted by Ted Dunning <te...@gmail.com>.
Klaus,

How does that have to do with anything here?

Re: new here.need help

Posted by Klaus Ramelow <Kl...@gmx.de>.
Hello Sai

Re: new here.need help

Posted by saibatchu <sa...@gmail.com>.
Thank you very much..
I will contact you if I have any doubts.

Re: new here.need help

Re: new here.need help

Posted by saibatchu <sa...@gmail.com>.
Thank you verymuch joe. Then I guess it would work sam with videos
too....right??

Re: new here.need help

Posted by Prakash Dubey <pr...@gmail.com>.
sai,
Above advice are also good, i am also developing similar search application
to study certain models of IR for my final year project.
I am using the following book "Building Search Applications: Lucene,
LingPipe, and Gate"
http://www.amazon.com/Building-Search-Applications-Lucene-LingPipe/dp/0615204252
for
building search applications. Here every step is written very clearly. You
may find this book very useful according to me.

Re: new here.need help

Posted by Lee <le...@gmail.com>.

Re: new here.need help

Posted by Joe Cabrera <ca...@gmail.com>.
Sai,

Apache Solr only support the indexing and retrieval of text documents. Solr
would only be useful for you if you are planning on doing retrieval on the
metadata ( ie. image name, image description, image tags, image keywords,
etc.) for the image. For image retrieval here are some options:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_CBIR_engines I'm not sure what your
options are for video retrieval.

On Wed, Sep 11, 2013 at 8:39 AM, saibatchu <sa...@gmail.com> wrote:

> Does solr or lucidworks enterprise support the retrieval of images and
> videos
> too??? Can we use them with hadoop if in case...Thank you for each and
> every
> reaponse guys

Joe Cabrera,
eminorlabs.com

Re: new here.need help

Posted by saibatchu <sa...@gmail.com>.

Re: new here.need help

Posted by Ted Dunning <te...@gmail.com>.
Check our Solr instead of raw lucene.  Much easier.  If you have documents
with lots and lots of different formats, check out Lucidworks Enterprise.
 They have packaged a lot of other software along with Solr to help pull
documents from all kinds of sources.

Re: new here.need help

Posted by saibatchu <sa...@gmail.com>.
Thank you for your interest