Posted to users@subversion.apache.org by Sam Carleton <sc...@miltonstreet.com> on 2009/08/25 13:37:23 UTC

To upgrade or not to upgrade, that is the question...

I am currently running Subversion version 1.6.0 (r36650).  I do have a long
running branch in the code right now and I was wondering when is it safe to
upgrade?  I think the fact that I had code branched when I upgraded from 1.5
to 1.6 caused some grief, so I have been holding off.  Is there any really
compelling reason why I should upgrade?

Sam

Re: To upgrade or not to upgrade, that is the question...

Posted by Sam Carleton <sc...@miltonstreet.com>.
On Tue, Aug 25, 2009 at 11:31 AM, Tyler Roscoe <ty...@cryptio.net> wrote:

> Branches are just copies in the repository so having branches or not
> shouldn't cause problems. What kind of "grief" was caused before?

When I tried to merge things together, I simply could not get things to work
correctly and I had to start over.  I am more disciplined about things now
and it could have very easily been user error, not an upgrade issue.

Posted by Tyler Roscoe <ty...@cryptio.net>.
On Tue, Aug 25, 2009 at 09:37:23AM -0400, Sam Carleton wrote:
> I am currently running Subversion version 1.6.0 (r36650).  I do have a long
> running branch in the code right now and I was wondering when is it safe to
> upgrade?  I think the fact that I had code branched when I upgraded from 1.5
> to 1.6 caused some grief, so I have been holding off.  Is there any really
> compelling reason why I should upgrade?

Branches are just copies in the repository so having branches or not
shouldn't cause problems. What kind of "grief" was caused before?

I imagine that most people who use Subversion are using branches/copies
somewhere in their repo, and I don't recall any particular complaints
about 1.6.x upgrades.

The latest 1.6 release fixes a number of bugs. If those bugs don't
affect you, I guess there is no compelling reason to upgrade.

tyler