Posted to users@cloudstack.apache.org by Matthew Smart <ms...@smartsoftwareinc.com> on 2020/11/11 22:32:44 UTC

Changing a host's password

This process seems straightforward to me but I want to make sure I
understand the parameters to pass into step 3 from the guide:
http://docs.cloudstack.apache.org/en/latest/adminguide/hosts.html#changing-host-password

Here is the command for encrypting the password in step 3:
java -classpath /usr/share/cloudstack-common/lib/jasypt-1.9.0.jar \
org.jasypt.intf.cli.JasyptPBEStringEncryptionCLI \
encrypt.sh input="newrootpassword" \
password="databasekey" \
verbose=false

The two parameters are input and password.
Is the input parameter where I put the new password and, if so, where do
I find the "databasekey" that is indicated to be the proper value of the
password parameter?
Or
Is the input parameter just an unused descriptive field that can contain
any value and the password parameter is where the new password should go?

I cannot seem to find a good description of how to use
JasyptPBEStringEncryptionCLI online anywhere.

Matthew Smart
President
Smart Software Solutions Inc.
108 S Pierre St.
Pierre, SD 57501

Phone: (605) 280-0383
Skype: msmart13
Email: msmart@smartsoftwareinc.com

Re: Changing a host's password

Posted by Andrija Panic <an...@gmail.com>.
The /etc/cloudstack/management/key file is the password which you need to
use to decrypt your db.cloud.encrypt.secret from the db.properties file (or
you might have it documented somewhere)
this " db.cloud.encrypt.secret " key is used then to encrypt/decrypt
various other data in DB

so use  " db.cloud.encrypt.secret " key   to decrypt your current password
from the DB - you certainly know it - so you can confirm this process works
then use it again ( db.cloud.encrypt.secret ) as a password to encrypt the
new host password ("input")

best,

--

Andrija Panić

Re: Changing a host's password

Posted by Pearl d'Silva <pe...@shapeblue.com>.
Hi Matthew,

Based on http://docs.cloudstack.apache.org/projects/cloudstack-administration/en/4.8/management.html#changing-the-database-configuration, seems like the database key is the content of the file /etc/cloudstack/management/key.

Thanks,
Pearl

________________________________

On Thu, Nov 12, 2020 at 6:39 AM Matthew Smart <ms...@smartsoftwareinc.com>
wrote:

> is the databasekey referring to the value "db.cloud.encrypt.secret"
> listed in /etc/cloudstack/management/db.properties?
>
> Matthew Smart
> President
> Smart Software Solutions Inc.
> 108 S Pierre St.
> Pierre, SD 57501
>
> Phone: (605) 280-0383
> Skype: msmart13
> Email: msmart@smartsoftwareinc.com

pearl.dsilva@shapeblue.com
www.shapeblue.com
@shapeblue

> On 11/11/20 4:32 PM, Matthew Smart wrote:
> > This process seems straightforward to me but I want to make sure I
> > understand the parameters to pass into step 3 from the guide:
> >
> http://docs.cloudstack.apache.org/en/latest/adminguide/hosts.html#changing-host-password
> >

> > Here is the command for encrypting the password in step 3:
> > java -classpath /usr/share/cloudstack-common/lib/jasypt-1.9.0.jar \
> > org.jasypt.intf.cli.JasyptPBEStringEncryptionCLI \
> > encrypt.sh input="newrootpassword" \
> > password="databasekey" \
> > verbose=false
> >
> > The two parameters are input and password.
> > Is the input parameter where I put the new password and, if so, where
> > do I find the "databasekey" that is indicated to be the proper value
> > of the password parameter?
> > Or
> > Is the input parameter just an unused descriptive field that can
> > contain any value and the password parameter is where the new password
> > should go?
> >
> > I cannot seem to find a good description of how to use
> > JasyptPBEStringEncryptionCLI online anywhere.
> >
> > Thanks,

Hean Seng

Re: Changing a host's password

Posted by Hean Seng <he...@gmail.com>.

wrote:

> is the databasekey referring to the value "db.cloud.encrypt.secret"
> listed in /etc/cloudstack/management/db.properties?
>
> Matthew Smart
> President
> Smart Software Solutions Inc.
> 108 S Pierre St.
> Pierre, SD 57501
>
> Phone: (605) 280-0383
> Skype: msmart13
> Email: msmart@smartsoftwareinc.com
>
> On 11/11/20 4:32 PM, Matthew Smart wrote:
> > This process seems straightforward to me but I want to make sure I
> > understand the parameters to pass into step 3 from the guide:
> >
> http://docs.cloudstack.apache.org/en/latest/adminguide/hosts.html#changing-host-password
> >

> > Here is the command for encrypting the password in step 3:
> > java -classpath /usr/share/cloudstack-common/lib/jasypt-1.9.0.jar \
> > org.jasypt.intf.cli.JasyptPBEStringEncryptionCLI \
> > encrypt.sh input="newrootpassword" \
> > password="databasekey" \
> > verbose=false
> >
> > The two parameters are input and password.
> > Is the input parameter where I put the new password and, if so, where
> > do I find the "databasekey" that is indicated to be the proper value
> > of the password parameter?
> > Or
> > Is the input parameter just an unused descriptive field that can
> > contain any value and the password parameter is where the new password
> > should go?
> >
> > I cannot seem to find a good description of how to use
> > JasyptPBEStringEncryptionCLI online anywhere.
> >
> > Thanks,

Hean Seng

Re: Changing a host's password

Posted by Matthew Smart <ms...@smartsoftwareinc.com>.