Posted to users@netbeans.apache.org by Thomas Wolf <tj...@gmail.com> on 2021/01/14 23:30:21 UTC

possibly naive question

Hi,
This might be a dumb question: does Netbeans have an external API (e.g.
REST) that would allow a remote program to direct Netbeans to open a file
at a given line number?  I have a program that does some analysis on
application source code and then needs to let the user edit some specific
source files  using whatever their favorite IDE.  If possible, I’d like to
avoid writing my app as a plugin for each IDE.

I’m not sure if this is actually the right mailing list to ask this
question.  Feel free to point me to another if it’s not.

Thanks,
Tom

Re: possibly naive question

Posted by Thomas Wolf <tj...@gmail.com>.
 Hi Scott- thanks a bunch - that did it!  I’m ashamed to admit that I
didn’t really think to look inside the app package :-(
tom

Re: possibly naive question

Posted by Scott Palmer <sw...@gmail.com>.

Re: possibly naive question

Posted by Thomas Wolf <tj...@gmail.com>.
 Hi again,

Re: possibly naive question

Posted by Laszlo Kishalmi <la...@gmail.com>.

Re: possibly naive question

Posted by "Mark A. Flacy" <mf...@verizon.net.INVALID>.
Greetings,

There is an important delta between "remote" and "external".

There is rather large delta between "locally and by me" and "locally and not
by me" as well.

--
Mark A. Flacy
mflacy@verizon.net

Re: possibly naive question

Posted by Thomas Wolf <tj...@gmail.com>.

Re: possibly naive question

Posted by Laszlo Kishalmi <la...@gmail.com>.

Re: possibly naive question

Posted by Thomas Wolf <tj...@gmail.com>.

Re: possibly naive question

Posted by Marco Rossi <ma...@markreds.it>.
Hey, I was thinking about ARexx too!!! Love my Amiga :-D

Marco

Re: possibly naive question

Posted by Scott Palmer <sw...@gmail.com>.
I would, but I miss my Amiga with ARexx :-)

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/ARexx

Or AppleScript on macOS: “tell application ‘NetBeans’ open project ‘HelloWorld’”

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/AppleScript

Scriptable applications can be very powerful. I’m not sure REST is the right mechanism, but the idea is sound.

Scott

Re: possibly naive question

Posted by "Mark A. Flacy" <mf...@verizon.net.INVALID>.
Greetings,