Posted to dev@bigtop.apache.org by Konstantin Boudnik <co...@apache.org> on 2013/06/05 20:40:55 UTC

Re: Bigtop contributions [Was: [VOTE] - Release 2.0.5-beta]

[Removed cross-posts to Hadoop dev lists]

Hi Shubham.

These are good points - thanks for bringing them up! The front page needs to
be improved for sure. For once, a link to the Wiki needs to be added and a
bunch of technical information needs to be migrated to the Bigtop wiki.

As for TODO list: most Apache projects are tend to use JIRA to track the
issues than need to be addressed. For instance, we have a dozen or so tickets
related to the wiki and documentation pages. I have just added the one for
landing page improvements, etc.
    http://is.gd/qRhiqM

In general - any contributions to the project are hightly appreciated. Please
go ahead and pick the tickets you see unassigned in the Bigtop project on JIRA
    https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/BIGTOP

clone the workspace
    http://git-wip-us.apache.org/repos/asf/bigtop.git

and bring it on! Looking forward for your first patch!

Regards,
  Cos

Posted by Shubham Goyal <sh...@gmail.com>.
Hi Cos,

Thanks for replying and considering my suggestions.
Bigtop is pretty new to me and currently am trying to understand its
architecture and code.
I am interested in patch contributions and hope that I'll start doing that
once I have understanding of Bigtop's functionality and code.

Thanks,
Shubham

Posted by Andrew Purtell <ap...@apache.org>.
Sounds good Roman. I'll for sure be at the HBase BoF on Tuesday and at the
Security "Design Lounge" on Wednesday, otherwise wandering around.

--
Best regards,

   - Andy

(via Tom White)

Re: Bigtop contributions [Was: [VOTE] - Release 2.0.5-beta]

Posted by Roman Shaposhnik <rv...@apache.org>.
Hi Andrew!

Posted by Andrew Purtell <ap...@apache.org>.

--
Best regards,

   - Andy

(via Tom White)

Re: Bigtop contributions [Was: [VOTE] - Release 2.0.5-beta]

Posted by Andrew Purtell <ap...@apache.org>.
On Sunday, June 9, 2013, Roman Shaposhnik wrote:

> On Wed, Jun 5, 2013 at 12:37 PM, Andrew Purtell <apurtell@apache.org<javascript:;>>
> wrote:
> > Additional to code contributions, do you guys have any thoughts about or
> > interest in infrastructure donations? (Would be EC2 based.)
>
> That would be so helpful you won't even believe it! If you have any
> practical ideas in that area -- please let me know (on list, off-list or
> in person ;-)).

Over at http://54.241.6.143/ we set up a Jenkins instance backed by a
dynamic EC2 slave pool, using a custom AMI based on Amazon Linux with some
preconfigurations and dependency preloads for HBase unit testing. This was
when ASF Jenkins was having some issues. Now that those are resolved we are
going to scale this back. That would free up some resorces for Jenkins jobs
for Bigtop.

However, what I was thinking - would take a bit more time to set up - is
something like running "nightlies" (maybe 3 times a week?) against a fully
provisioned Bigtop cluster - maybe 10x m2.4xlarge, or the SSD backed high
IO type. I think Hadoop, HBase, Pig, Hive, Giraph, and Phoenix tests can
take advantage of this right away, can submit or expand their executions to
a full cluster. Haven't looked at the others. So this might look
like: launch a transient package build host (a m1.large maybe), build the
Bigtop packages, start up the test cluster, deploy the packages from a Yum
or Apt repo on the build host, configure the test cluster (using the Puppet
stuff?), run the full suite of integration tests, then collect the test
output and all of the log files up to an S3 bucket for posterity, shut
everything down, post process the results, and finally kick off emails to
dev@.

After getting something like the above working I can imagine a process of
refining the post processing over time to get better about flagging errors
and anomalies.

To be a useful resource for Hadoop integration testing we could consider
a variation where the current Bigtop BOM is used except for in the case
of Hadoop, for that instead the version in bigtop.mk could be "branch-2"
with the github mirror as site.

Perhaps some vendors might consider donating to this after something is off
the ground.

--
Best regards,

   - Andy

(via Tom White)

Re: Bigtop contributions [Was: [VOTE] - Release 2.0.5-beta]

Posted by Roman Shaposhnik <rv...@apache.org>.

Posted by Wing Yew Poon <wy...@cloudera.com>.
I think Andrew's question was directed at Bigtop PMC/committers.

Posted by Shubham Goyal <sh...@gmail.com>.
Hi Andrew,

Posted by Andrew Purtell <ap...@apache.org>.

--