Posted to dev@harmony.apache.org by Gerry Steele <ge...@gmail.com> on 2005/06/02 12:42:47 UTC

Linux Jar file execution

Has anyone got any thoughts on the possibility of making naively executable
jars on Linux?

This is done on Windows through the file extensions mechanism. On Solairis
they use magic numbers picked up by the kernel AFAIK. I guess a Linux
implementation will require some kernel work too. I believe this might help
usability a bit on Linux. It just occurs to me that an Open Source Java has
a hell of a greater chance of working with the Kernel guys / Linus than Sun
might ever have. Another point for harmony :).

Gerry

--
Gerry Steele

Re: Linux Jar file execution

Posted by Josué Alcalde González <jo...@gmail.com>.
Michael Koch escribió:

>Am Donnerstag, den 02.06.2005, 11:42 +0100 schrieb Gerry Steele:
>

>>Has anyone got any thoughts on the possibility of making naively executable
>>jars on Linux?
>>
>>This is done on Windows through the file extensions mechanism. On Solairis
>>they use magic numbers picked up by the kernel AFAIK. I guess a Linux
>>implementation will require some kernel work too. I believe this might help
>>usability a bit on Linux. It just occurs to me that an Open Source Java has
>>a hell of a greater chance of working with the Kernel guys / Linus than Sun
>>might ever have. Another point for harmony :).
>>

>This can be done on Linux since years with binfmt. On Debian its called
>binfmt-misc. Its nothing new.
>

>Michael

In windows, you double click a .jar and it user "java -jar" to open it.
In linux, for example, ubuntu, you click, open-with "java -jar", make it
the preferences way to open jars, and you can double click it to open
the program.
I think it is enough.

Renovamos el Correo Yahoo!
Nuevos servicios, más seguridad
http://correo.yahoo.es

Re: Linux Jar file execution

Posted by Michael Koch <Mi...@enough.de>.

Re: Linux Jar file execution

Posted by Gerry Steele <ge...@gmail.com>.
Yea,

I think the challenge is making it a core kernel feature rather than
something the users will have to compile and install themselves, ie, a Linux
kernel above a certain future version would support it. It will be a step
further towards more java applications on the Linux platform i think.

-Gerry

--
Gerry Steele

x74521/+353-1-8199 521