Posted to legal-discuss@apache.org by Michael Miklavcic <mi...@gmail.com> on 2017/02/02 19:22:40 UTC

Apache Metron (Incubating) - copying Apache licensed code into codebase

Hi Apache community,

My name is Michael Miklavcic. I'm a committer on the Apache Metron
(Incubating) project and we have a dependency that we would like to copy
into the Metron codebase. The project in question is an Apache V2 licensed
project that has not been maintained in a couple years, and the artifacts
are not in Maven Central. https://github.com/nchovy/kraken

The motivation for doing so is that we are currently depending on another
third party for hosting the packaged jar files. This may be fine for the
short-term, however we would like stronger guarantees that every build of
our project will be able to access those libraries. In addition, we would
like reliable access to the source code in the event that any bugs or
security issues are found that need fixing.

Per this thread -
http://mail-archives.apache.org/mod_mbox/incubator-metron-dev/201701.mbox/browser
- our mentor, Billie Rinaldi, has stated that an IP clearance process
requires permission from the original authors. I reached out to the Kraken
developers about a month ago and have not received any response. What steps
do we need to take in order to comply with any legal requirements to
copy/fork this project into our codebase?

Thanks,
Michael Miklavcic
Apache Metron (Incubating) committer

Re: Apache Metron (Incubating) - copying Apache licensed code into codebase

Posted by "John D. Ament" <jo...@apache.org>.
Interesting question.  Looking at their code, it's already Apache licensed
(as you note).  That aligns to how C/C++/BSD/Perl/Python etc would bring in
the source dependencies.  I wouldn't see this as any different.

John