Posted to dev@maven.apache.org by Marcel May <ma...@consol.de> on 2005/10/03 23:01:16 UTC

Manifest creation and JAR archives ...

Hi!

I noticed that the manifest creation is not consistent over all the
archive plugins
(WAR,RAR,EJB-JAR,EAR...), with the JAR plugin manifest generation beeing
more sophisticated
than the other plugins. For example, custom manifest attributes are only
supported
for the JAR plugin.

Would it make sense to take the manifest file generation from the JAR
plugin into a new manifest plugin,
which the other plugins reuse?

- New manifest plugin based on current JAR plugin
- New manifest plugin properties maven.manifest.*
- Current plugins which generate a manifest will use the manifest plugin
- Current plugins which generate manifests may not break if using the
new manifest plugin (Class-Path entry etc.)

If you want I can volunteer ... refactoring the manifest generation into
a new plugin and provide you
the patches ... this week :-)

Oh, my original problem was to get a special built timestamp attribute
into the generated manifest for all
my J2EE artifacts (ear,war,jar,rar,...).

Cheers,
Marcel

Re: Manifest creation and JAR archives ...

Posted by Brett Porter <br...@apache.org>.
This is a good idea, and is the approach taken in Maven 2.

This is probably more suited to a tag library than a plugin, and it must
remain backwards compatible with the properties used previously instead
of replacing them with the new properties.

- Brett