Posted to users@subversion.apache.org by Simon Large <sl...@blazepoint.co.uk> on 2004/07/30 13:42:35 UTC

Logfile growth

I am evaluating SVN with the Tortoise front end for use in our organisation.
So far it all works very nicely, except for the fact that the DB logfile
seems to keep growing and is *much* larger than the data. To put this in
perspective, I am only using 12 source files (text), totalling 72K. The
strings file is 120K which is reasonable, but the log file is now 1MB. This
is of course tiny compared to a real project, but if it scales up in the
same proportions then it will make for a huge log file.

Steps so far:
Create local repository using TSVN
Add 12 files
Modify the first few lines a couple of files several times with commits,
  including adding keywords.
Now at revision 16.

Now every time I do something simple like an update of my WC directory, I
add 4K to the repo logfile, even when the update changes nothing. I have
tried 'svnadmin list-unused-logs c:\temp\testrepository' and got blank
output, from which I assume that the logfile is not unused, and therefore
cannot be deleted. I have also tried deltify, and that grows the logfile
again. I assume that the deltify is actually happening automatically on
commit, but thought I had better try it anyway.

I cannot find anything about this in the FAQ, either for SVN or Tortoise.
Should I expect the logfile to grow without bounds or have I missed a vital
admin process somewhere? Once the actions have been carried out on the
database, why is the logfile still needed?

Simon.

Re: Logfile growth

Posted by Simon Large <sl...@blazepoint.co.uk>.
Thanks, thats a good point.

This (and previous answers) might be obvious to developers working on
Subversion, but less clear to ordinary end users like me. A brief note in
the book or FAQ as to what we can expect the db to look like over time would
be useful. Having spent some time looking around on the web at other peoples
experiences with the many different VC systems around, there were 2 common
themes - a) most people thought Subversion to be one of the best, and b)
several were concerned about the size of the database due to logfiles. It
would be good to dispel any myths.

Simon.

Posted by Branko Čibej <br...@xbc.nu>.

Re: Logfile growth

Posted by Simon Large <sl...@blazepoint.co.uk>.
From: "C. Michael Pilato" <cm...@collab.net>
> "Simon Large" <sl...@blazepoint.co.uk> writes:
>
> > I cannot find anything about this in the FAQ, either for SVN or
Tortoise.
> > Should I expect the logfile to grow without bounds or have I missed a
vital
> > admin process somewhere? Once the actions have been carried out on the
> > database, why is the logfile still needed?
>
> The logfile *set* (more than one logfile) will grow without bounds,
> but a particular logfile should only grow to about 1 Mb (as the result
> of Subversion's custom configuration of Berkeley DB).  Generally, once
> a logfile reaches the 1Mb point, Berkeley will start a new logfile.
> It is only when Berkeley has finished using a logfile (meaning it has
> begun a new one) that list-unused-logfiles will display it.  You will
> always have at least one logfile in use at any given time.

Thanks guys,
By some quirk the log file had reached 1023K when I stopped testing. Had I
done one more update, I would have seen the new logfile appear. The
information you have given would be worth including in the manual and/or
FAQ.

Re: Logfile growth

Posted by "C. Michael Pilato" <cm...@collab.net>.