Posted to doc@openoffice.apache.org by Cindy Livengood <cm...@gmail.com> on 2014/02/23 04:23:03 UTC

Documentation for OO4

Dear Sirs,

I was doing some research about how to change document properties after
upgrading to Open Office 4 and came across your post for people who want to
help with documentation.

Considering that I have searched for three hours but have not found any
information about how to replace the document properties  (file >
properties > general {and other tabs}) from that of the properties in the
template, I would like to be sure that it gets included in the
documentation to be published.

When using a template, the author's name of the template is in the
properties of the template.  When you use that template, the template's
author is erroneously displayed at the author of the document.  As it is, I
can not find any way to change the name of the author.

Also, I am only able to change some of the information in the properties
tabs, and some I have changed by opening it in Calibre and making the
metadata changes there, then re-opening it in Open Office 4.  Even so I
can't change the created by, created date, nor remove the template name
from the file.

So, when I give the file to someone else, the wrong properties are
displayed which gives me great problems.  Having someone else's name appear
on the document with wrong time and dates causes people to be concerned
about the security of my work.

This was not an issue with Microsoft Word. :(  They are pressuring me to
purchase Word.

Thank you for considering my submission.

Cindy Livengood

Re: Documentation for OO4

Posted by Andrew Douglas Pitonyak <an...@pitonyak.org>.
Cindy, I see that you are not subscribed.... so I am copying you on my
response to the list.

A moderator approved your message and let it through to the list.....
so, consider subscribing. If you desire to do so, and don't know how,
let me know and I will send some instructions. If you really just want
to know how to use AOO, consider subscribing to the users list. I can
send information on that as well if you desire.

I do not have access to AOO to test this, but, I don't think that AOO
supports changing the author.

Do you know enough about macros that you can figure out how to create
this simple macro and run it while the document you want to change is
the focused document?

Sub setAuthor
   ThisComponent.DocumentProperties.Author = "Cindy Livengood"
End Sub

I think that this will fix it for you.

Again, let the list know if this is not sufficient information for you.

--
Andrew Pitonyak
Info:  http://www.pitonyak.org/oo.php

Re: Documentation for OO4

Posted by Alexandro Colorado <jz...@oooes.org>.
On 2/22/14, Cindy Livengood <cm...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Dear Sirs,
>
> I was doing some research about how to change document properties after
> upgrading to Open Office 4 and came across your post for people who want to
> help with documentation.

Help with documentation means write guides for OpenOffice. You can
find the repository here:
https://wiki.openoffice.org/wiki/Documentation

> Considering that I have searched for three hours but have not found any
> information about how to replace the document properties  (file >
> properties > general {and other tabs}) from that of the properties in the
> template, I would like to be sure that it gets included in the
> documentation to be published.

You do this at the application level:
- Tools -> Options -> General -> Name, Instiution, Phone, etc:
http://pclosmag.com/html/Issues/201006/images/oo-02.jpg

> When using a template, the author's name of the template is in the
> properties of the template.  When you use that template, the template's
> author is erroneously displayed at the author of the document.  As it is, I
> can not find any way to change the name of the author.
For templates check this chapter of the writer guide:
https://wiki.openoffice.org/w/images/7/7b/0210WG33-WorkingWithTemplatesInWriter.pdf

> Also, I am only able to change some of the information in the properties
> tabs, and some I have changed by opening it in Calibre and making the
> metadata changes there, then re-opening it in Open Office 4.  Even so I
> can't change the created by, created date, nor remove the template name
> from the file.

These information is autogenarted based on the local stats of the
document like how many times the file has been opened, and by who.

> So, when I give the file to someone else, the wrong properties are
> displayed which gives me great problems.  Having someone else's name appear
> on the document with wrong time and dates causes people to be concerned
> about the security of my work.

Are you talking about fields inserted in the document? maybe some
screenshots can help understand how are you using this information.

--
Alexandro Colorado
Apache OpenOffice Contributor