Posted to users@directory.apache.org by Rich Remington <ri...@remingtons.us> on 2008/05/29 19:31:46 UTC

Suggestions for ApacheDS 1.5.x and Mac OS X installer

Hello,

Being new to ApacheDS (and LDAP), I thought I would try the latest
version, which was 1.5.2, using the new Mac OS X installer.  The main
link from the home page takes you to the version 1.5 series, so I
thought I was relatively safe starting here.  Some suggestions from my
experiences follow - all in the spirit of improving the product:

    * Mac OS X installer:  there was no option to change the install
      location and no indication during the installation process where
      it was installed.  The default location (/usr/local/apacheds...)
      is reasonable, but people like (and sometimes require) choices.
      It took me some time to figure out where it was installed and that
      it was already running, but on a non-default port.
          o Either make this statement (where things are installed) loud
            and clear to your audience in the docs or add an option to
            change the installation location in the Mac installer - and
            any other installers that don't have this option yet.
          o Also, I would also like to see an option in the installer
            that allows me to choose whether or want I want it added to
            the boot sequence.
    * The next issue, I've seen a few posts about now, is that the
      conf/server.xml is not the one you need to modify, but rather the
      one under instances.  Please make this statement loud and clear to
      your audience in the docs.
    * The server.xml syntax changed between 1.5.1 and 1.5.2.  This seems
      like a deviation from the version numbering policies at Apache,
      but I could be wrong.  I would not expect to see a change in
      configuration syntax at this level of version numbering.  I had
      trouble matching up several examples on the net with the new
      syntax, but eventually got some basic changes to take place.
      Perhaps this release should have been numbered 1.6?
          o Even if code isn't quite there yet, I suspect a lot of
            people are spending too much time on this wondering why
            their changes aren't taking affect.  Please make this known
            loud and clear to your audience in the docs.

FYI, I have since gone back to version 1.0.2 and have had far fewer
issues.  I know these things will get resolved in future versions, but I
am guessing that more than a few people are getting a "less than good"
taste in their mouths after trying out the latest versions.  Finally, I
am not sure I would have the most prominent ApacheDS link (on the home
page) pointing to version 1.5.x at this point.  That should be for those
willing to tolerate code that is ready for prime time IMHO.

Cheers,
Rich

Re: Suggestions for ApacheDS 1.5.x and Mac OS X installer

Posted by Emmanuel Lecharny <el...@apache.org>.
Rich Remington wrote:
> I did download Studio and am using it with v1.0.2, but AFAIK (from
> other mailing list posts) the server configuration feature does not
> yet work with the latest (1.5.2) configuration syntax.  I'll be
> watching for newer releases to make life a bit simpler.
Yes, Studio next version will be way better in this area. I must tell
you that dealing with the server.xml differences was not a real pleasure
for those poor guys who are developing Studio ! This is why I perfectly
understand you feelings ;)

cordialement, regards,
Emmanuel Lécharny
www.iktek.com
directory.apache.org

Re: Suggestions for ApacheDS 1.5.x and Mac OS X installer

Posted by Rich Remington <ri...@remingtons.us>.

Emmanuel Lecharny wrote:
> Just FYI, Apache Directory Studio, the Ldap browser we are also
> providing, will allow users to directly launch the server, and
> configure it, directly from Studio. This will be very helpful for
> people who want to get a grip on LDAP, before dealing with the server
> installation, and such.
>
> It's expected to be released in the next few weeks.
>

> Rich Remington wrote:
>> Thanks for the response and  I do understand it's a volunteer effort
>> and am very grateful for this!  I have a few other comments in reply
>> below.

snip

Re: Suggestions for ApacheDS 1.5.x and Mac OS X installer

Posted by Emmanuel Lecharny <el...@apache.org>.

Rich Remington wrote:
> [...]
>> record. We have had long discussions two years ago about ApacheDS
>> versioning policy, and came with these policies :
>> - we have a X.Y.Z number scheme
>> - X.0.Z means stable version. ie, versions where functionalities are
>> not added, where data stored into the backend are binary compatible,
>> and where the configuration files are compatible.
>> - X.5.Z are unstable versions, ie version which are subject to
>> changes, including configuration files.
>> - 0.Z are for bug fixes
>> - 5.Z are for functional additions, and of course bug fixes.
>> - when X.5.Z is ready, the next version is (X+1).0.0
>>
>> So in our case, the 5 means : 'in between X and X+1 version'. Half
>> backed server :). I understand that the site does not clearly state
>> that...
> Now that you mention it, I may have read this somewhere in my search
> through various docs, but it is not something that is really obvious
> for the new user downloading from the main link off the home page.  If
> you (or some other person) could modify the 1.5.x download page to
> state this up front, I suspect you will not catch other folks by
> surprise like it did me.  I'm not afraid of trying out new versions, I
> just want to know before hand that I may be working with an unstable
> product.
>>>
>>> FYI, I have since gone back to version 1.0.2 and have had far fewer
>>> issues.  I know these things will get resolved in future versions,
>>> but I am guessing that more than a few people are getting a "less
>>> than good" taste in their mouths after trying out the latest versions.
>> This is a risk we took. 1.0 is now two years old (barely), and 2.0 is
>> at least 3 months far from being out. You have to know that ADS is a
>> pretty big piece of code (around 400 000 slocs), and it takes a huge
>> amount of time to make it working, fast, compliant and powerfull. The
>> current 1.5 version is running 5 times faster than the 1.0, with far
>> less LDAP issues, and with a far better internal structure.
>> Documentation is also lacking for the very same reason : people are
>> reluctant to document a moving target...
>>> Finally, I am not sure I would have the most prominent ApacheDS link
>>> (on the home page) pointing to version 1.5.x at this point.  That
>>> should be for those willing to tolerate code that is [not quite]
>>> ready for prime time IMHO.
>> You may be right.
>>
>> Last, not least, remember that it's a volunteer based project, and we
>> are not that many working on it ! Any contribution is very welcome !
> FYI, I meant to say "... not quite ready for prime time" in my
> original post.  Anyway, I wish I knew more about LDAP, so I could
> contribute to the code base.  Working with LDAP is just a tangent to
> my "real" job.  The only way I know how to help is to point out things
> that may trip up others in my situation.
>>
>> Thanks !
>>
> You're very welcome and, again, thanks for your efforts and taking the

cordialement, regards,
Emmanuel Lécharny
www.iktek.com
directory.apache.org

Re: Suggestions for ApacheDS 1.5.x and Mac OS X installer

Posted by Rich Remington <ri...@remingtons.us>.

Posted by Emmanuel Lecharny <el...@apache.org>.
Hi Rich,