Posted to users@tomcat.apache.org by Chad Kellerman <ck...@alabanza.com> on 2002/08/28 14:37:58 UTC

Wouldn't this be a security risk??

Hello everyone,

    I have been running tomcat for a while and just started to notice a
few things.  First, let me say I have it configure on a linux server
with mod_webapp, with Tomcat version 4.0.3.

    Let's say I have a war file application called hello.war that I call
like so:

    http://mydomain.com/webapps/hello/

    But if I call it this way:

    http://mydomain.com/webapps/hello.war

    it forces a download.  I realize this is not the proper way to call
it but if someone did call it this way..
    I believe I can stop this through Apache but I am not quite too
sure.

Does anyone else notice this or have a fix for it???

THanks,

Chad

Re: Wouldn't this be a security risk??

Posted by Tim Funk <fu...@joedog.org>.
Have apache deny the request. Very simple change to httpd.conf.

For example:

# No one in my WEB-INF directory
<Location /WEB-INF/ >
   AllowOverride none
   deny from all
</Location>

# No one look at my properties files
<Files ~ "*.properties">
   Order allow,deny
   Deny from all
   Satisfy All
</Files>

# No one look at my website app config
# OK - This is redundant since its in WEB-INF
<Files ~ "web.xml">
   Order allow,deny
   Deny from all
   Satisfy All