Posted to xindice-users@xml.apache.org by matt ma <ma...@yahoo.com> on 2003/06/30 16:20:22 UTC

db_bootstrap.ior issue

Hello, I'm having some problems accessing xindice from
a remote computer - getting an XMLDbException error
from XindiceBrowser.  I've boiled the problem down to
the generated /docs/db_bootstrap.ior file.  For some
reason on my linux box, the generated ior lists
127.0.0.1 as the host and on windows 2000 it lists a
real ip address.  Consequently, my windows 2000
instance can accept remote connections but my linux
instance cannot.

I downloaded JacOrb and used the
org.jacorb.orb.util.PrintIOR utility to print the
db_bootstrap.ior file.  I get the following printout
for

xindice 1.0

redhat 8.0 linux running both jdk's

jdk 1.3 (build 1.3.1_08-b03, mixed mode)
and
jdk 1.4 (build 1.4.1_03-b02, mixed mode):

        #0: TAG_CODE_SETS
                ForChar native code set Id: UTF-8
                Char Conversion Code Sets: Unknown
TCS: 10020
                ForWChar native code set Id: UTF-16
                WChar Conversion Code Sets: Unknown
TCS: 10100

The funny thing is that when I run the same *exact*
instance (just copied the files from the linux box
onto a Windows 2000 box and ran it) on Windows 2000,
the bootstrap.ior file makes a lot more sense

C:\srv\xindice\docs>java -cp c:\tool\junk\jacorb.jar
org.jacorb.orb.util.PrintIOR -f db_bootstrap.ior
        #0: TAG_CODE_SETS
                ForChar native code set Id: Unknown
TCS: 100204e4
                Char Conversion Code Sets: ISO 8859-1
, Unknown TCS: 1000f
, Unknown TCS: 10020
                ForWChar native code set Id: UTF-16
                WChar Conversion Code Sets: Unknown
TCS: 10100

As expected, remote clients have no problem accessing
the Windows 2000 instance as they will be able to
resolve 192.168.57.4 but clients cannot access the
linux instance as they will never resolve 127.0.0.1 to
the xindice server instance.

Does anyone know what xindice uses to figure out what
"host" to generate in the ior file?  How do I tell it
what ip address to use as the host?

My 'hostname' is set on my linux box and it is not
127.0.0.1.  I tried changing the system.xml to listen
only on a real ip address - which xindice does but the
ior file still reports 127.0.0.1 as the host.  I also
ried to

org.jacorb.orb.util.FixIOR 192.168.57.20 40168
db_bootstrap.ior

and also

org.jacorb.orb.util.FixIOR 192.168.57.20 40168
db_bootstrap.ior

to manually write the correct host and port.  But I
still get the same XmlDbException at the point of
acquiring a collection.  One noteable is that when I
do use the fix utility to change the host, the client
will hang fo a couple of minutes before reporting the
same exception.  My guess is that the port is not
correct since it is always changing.

exception stack trace from xindice browser
C:\tool\xindicebrowser>java -cp XIndiceBrowser_lib.jar
info.schatten.xindicebrow
ser.gui.XIndiceBrowser config.xml
INFO - This is XIndice Browser.
INFO - Programed by Alexander Schatten:
http://www.schatten.info
INFO - Log4J logging started.
INFO - Checking xml config filename.
INFO - Reading XML Config File
INFO - Getting root element of config file
INFO - Reading and Setting config parameters.
8552 ERROR [main getCollectionNames] -
access.XCollections Getting Collection fa
iled!
org.xmldb.api.base.XMLDBException:
        at
org.apache.xindice.core.FaultCodes.createXMLDBException(Unknown
Sourc
e)
        at
org.apache.xindice.client.xmldb.CollectionImpl.<init>(Unknown
Source)

        at
org.apache.xindice.client.xmldb.DatabaseImpl.getCollection(Unknown
So
urce)
        at
org.xmldb.api.DatabaseManager.getCollection(DatabaseManager.java:194)

        at
org.xmldb.api.DatabaseManager.getCollection(DatabaseManager.java:157)

        at
info.schatten.xindicebrowser.access.XCollections.getCollectionNames(U
nknown Source)
        at
info.schatten.xindicebrowser.gui.XIndiceBrowserFrame.refreshCollectio
nTree(Unknown Source)
        at
info.schatten.xindicebrowser.gui.XIndiceBrowserFrame.refreshView(Unkn
own Source)
        at
info.schatten.xindicebrowser.gui.XIndiceBrowserFrame.<init>(Unknown
ource)
        at
info.schatten.xindicebrowser.gui.XIndiceBrowser.<init>(Unknown
Source
)
        at
info.schatten.xindicebrowser.gui.XIndiceBrowser.main(Unknown
Source)
8682 ERROR [main refreshCollectionTree] -
gui.XIndiceBrowserFrame Error reading
collection list!
[...]

Thanks much!

-matt