Posted to dev@flex.apache.org by piotrz <pi...@gmail.com> on 2017/05/23 08:49:39 UTC

Re: [FlexJS] odd license headers on some files

Hi Justin,

My experience in work with it - that problem is a simple copy-paste, but
maybe someone will have other explanation. :)

Thanks,
Piotr

-----
Apache Flex PMC
piotrzarzycki21@gmail.com

Re: [FlexJS] odd license headers on some files

Posted by Harbs <ha...@gmail.com>.
My assumption is that we got two different headers by mistake, but let’s wait until more people weigh in before we change anything.

If it was a mistake, it should be a simple find/replace to fix it.

Posted by Justin Mclean <ju...@classsoftware.com>.
Hi,

> Did RAT catch this?  If not, why bother doing anything here?

Because RAT is a simple tool and it doesn’t catch everything. It even tells you that when you run it.

NOTE:
Rat is really little more than a grep ATM
Rat is also rather memory hungry ATM
Rat is very basic ATM
Rat highlights possible issues
Rat reports require intepretation
Rat often requires some tuning before it runs well against a project
Rat relies on heuristics: it may miss issues

Re “why bother doing anything”  while I don’t think this is a big issue we have some files that are clearly Apache licensed but they have the wrong header text. The full header text is required by Apache legal policy [1] other than in a couple of cases. IMO we should just fix it and move on.

Thanks,
Justin

1. https://www.apache.org/legal/src-headers.html#headers

Re: [FlexJS] odd license headers on some files

Posted by Justin Mclean <ju...@classsoftware.com>.
Hi,

> How does fixing these headers help the community?

In short -by giving the ASF board and users confidence that they can use our software without any legal issues.

> each of us will now have to take time to make sure we have the right
> header before committing new files.

And if you miss something it easy enough to fix. As people know know this may be an issue someone should see it when it is checked in.

> Justin is great at finding what isn't expected.  But his track record for
> correctly deciding what action to take is not very good.

My track record is actually better than your's Alex. But why bring that up for a trivial change like this when it very clear what is required by ASF legal policy?

> Burning out committers and release managers is not
> helpful to the community.

How does a trivial obvious change do that? They only issue here seems to be you opposition to it and not letting people just get on and do things.

Given there enough PMC members who agree with the change and you have stated you will not veto it I’ll go ahead and make the change and this unnecessary  discussion can be ended.

Thanks,
Justin

Contributions / SonarCube (was odd headers)

Posted by Justin Mclean <ju...@classsoftware.com>.
Hi,

> Absolutely want to see more discussion about the 9 or 13 points from
> ApacheCon.  I don't agree that discussing trace statements, inlining
> constants, and empty constructors will bring in more contributors.
> Getting quality releases out encourages more contributors.

Well actually the issues above is one of the points on that ApacheCon list. It about code quality and Sonar Cube reports. SonarCube flags the above items as critical / major issues.

A lot of the things reported by SonarCube are easy to fix and it's a very easy way for people to contribute especially if they are not confident in making changes to the SDK or know the code base well. In some case you wouldn’t even need to know AS or Java well to make the suggested changes.

Now same of these changes are needed, some may not be, and some we should ignore but you usually uncover issues or bugs when looking at them - as I did the other day. You may not agree with how it categorised things and perhaps the reports need some filtering / tuning but if so lets discuss that here.

Here’s the SonarCube links for those interested - and yes it also scans the framework AS code.
https://builds.apache.org/analysis/overview?id=2461
https://builds.apache.org/analysis/overview?id=20942

There’s  currently a large number of issues for those above projects including a small number of what it thinks are blocking/critical bugs and security vulnerabilities.

It’s also very easy to set up and run locally for people working on their own FlexJS applications.

> Getting some production apps out there will bring in more contributors.

There are several people on this list working on FlexJS applications myself included. Our application is currently in production (soft launch) and I gave a talk about the development of it at ApacheCon.

Thanks,
Justin

Re: [FlexJS] odd license headers on some files

Posted by Justin Mclean <ju...@classsoftware.com>.
Hi,

> I had a great time meeting most of you last week. Alex I met some 3 years ago.

Good to meet you in person as well.

> Justin can you please provide a precise diff explaining what is off with these headers?

They are missing this bit:

Licensed to the Apache Software Foundation (ASF) under one
or more contributor license agreements.  See the NOTICE file
distributed with this work for additional information
regarding copyright ownership.

> Also how many files.

About 220 files.

Thanks,
Justin

Re: [FlexJS] odd license headers on some files

Posted by Josh Tynjala <jo...@gmail.com>.
Your changes look good to me. Onward!

- Josh

Posted by Alex Harui <ah...@adobe.com.INVALID>.

On 5/24/17, 1:35 PM, "Dave Fisher" <da...@comcast.net> wrote:

>Alex - are we really close to cutting a release?

Every day, I keep hoping I'm about to fix the last big bug, only to find
that something else big.  Apparently only now are folks testing some parts
of the Maven build and there are issues there as well.  I sure hope we are
ready in a day or two.  But I've been wrong about that for nearly three
weeks now.

Thanks,
-Alex

Re: [FlexJS] odd license headers on some files

Posted by Dave Fisher <da...@comcast.net>.
Hi Folks,

I had a great time meeting most of you last week. Alex I met some 3 years ago.

Justin can you please provide a precise diff explaining what is off with these headers? Also how many files.

Alex - are we really close to cutting a release?

Regards,
Dave

Sent from my iPhone

Posted by Alex Harui <ah...@adobe.com.INVALID>.

Posted by Justin Mclean <ju...@classsoftware.com>.
Hi,

> but as we're still in Last Call, I'm going to defend him.

Thanks for that.

> I understand that you think licensing details aren't as important as other
> things

The PMC as a whole was a responsible to get the licensing stuff right and while some people may not think it is important other people do including user / consumers of our software, ASF legal, the ASF boardl etc etc do think it’s important.

> I don't see why we can't start thinking about things for the next release
> as we're finishing up the current release.

Neither do I. We want to encourage all contributions (from committers and users) and that shouldn’t be dependent on if there’s a release happening or not. As this point (although we do seem to have one or two issues to address) the release is mostly done bar creating the RC and voting on it.

I can make the header changes today so they will not hold up any work on the release- while it changes a number of files, reviewing that change is trivial.

Thanks,
Justin

Re: [FlexJS] odd license headers on some files

Posted by Josh Tynjala <jo...@gmail.com>.
Alex,

If Justin were proposing these changes to an RC, I would strongly agree
with you that it should wait. However, I thought we all agreed that Last
Call was the better time to get things in that we want to get in. It feels
to me like you're moving the goal posts to now say that it should wait
until after the release. I was frustrated by Justin proposing changes in
the RC before, but as we're still in Last Call, I'm going to defend him.

I understand that you think licensing details aren't as important as other
things, so it's cool if you don't want to focus on that part as we get
close to a release. However, that's the itch Justin seems to want to
scratch, and I don't think it's fair of you to tell him what he should
think is important. It should take little more than a glance for the PMC to

Posted by Alex Harui <ah...@adobe.com.INVALID>.

Posted by Josh Tynjala <jo...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Alex Harui <ah...@adobe.com.INVALID>.

Posted by Christofer Dutz <ch...@c-ware.de>.
The thing is, I can’t see that file in my repo …

I think you only have this when installing a Flex(JS)SDK with AIR. So eventually if you ran an Ant build, this is probably there.

Chris

Am 24.05.17, 15:39 schrieb "Josh Tynjala" <jo...@gmail.com>:

    If it's ANE-related, it seems likely that it's from an AIR SDK.

    - Josh

    On May 23, 2017 10:47 PM, "Alex Harui" <ah...@adobe.com.invalid> wrote:

    On 5/23/17, 3:17 PM, "Justin Mclean" <ju...@classsoftware.com> wrote:

    >Hi,
    >
    >> Agreed. Justin is good at catching licensing issues, and he seems
    >>willing
    >> to fix them himself
    >
    >Yep I’ll willing to fix this I was just unsure of the reason why the
    >different headers existed and if there was a reason other than copy /
    >paste issue
    >
    >I also come across this  header in [1] which may perhaps be a concern? I
    >gather it's related to iOS/Android native extensions.
    >
    >Thanks,
    >Justin
    >
    >1. ./flexJS/include/FlashRuntimeExtensions.h

    I cannot find this file in my working copies.  Where did it come from?

    -Alex

Re: [FlexJS] odd license headers on some files

Posted by Josh Tynjala <jo...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Alex Harui <ah...@adobe.com.INVALID>.

Posted by Justin Mclean <ju...@classsoftware.com>.
Hi,

> Agreed. Justin is good at catching licensing issues, and he seems willing
> to fix them himself

Yep I’ll willing to fix this I was just unsure of the reason why the different headers existed and if there was a reason other than copy / paste issue

I also come across this  header in [1] which may perhaps be a concern? I gather it's related to iOS/Android native extensions.

// ADOBE CONFIDENTIAL
//
// Copyright 2011 Adobe Systems Incorporated All Rights Reserved.
//
// NOTICE: All information contained herein is, and remains the property of
// Adobe Systems Incorporated and its suppliers, if any. The intellectual and
// technical concepts contained herein are proprietary to Adobe Systems
// Incorporated and its suppliers and may be covered by U.S. and Foreign
// Patents, patents in process, and are protected by trade secret or copyright
// law. Dissemination of this information or reproduction of this material
// is strictly forbidden unless prior written permission is obtained from

Posted by Josh Tynjala <jo...@gmail.com>.
Agreed. Justin is good at catching licensing issues, and he seems willing
to fix them himself, so let's not hold him back if he wants to do that. As
long as his proposed changes seem correct at a glance, I feel like this
should not require any discussion except to say "go for it!"

- Josh

Posted by Christofer Dutz <ch...@c-ware.de>.
Hi Alex,

Posted by Alex Harui <ah...@adobe.com.INVALID>.