Posted to java-dev@axis.apache.org by Ajith Ranabahu <aj...@gmail.com> on 2004/11/08 10:14:39 UTC

[Axis2][OM] SAAJ like (?) API review

Hi,
Even though this is a bit late for this we thought that a proper
review should be done about the proposed "SAAJ like" API for OM before
we move on.
Here are the comments.

1. The classes must be properly packaged. here are the suggested packages
    * SOAPxx classes should go into org.apache.axis.om.soap package

2.MIME classes should not be there. (what are doing inside the OM in
the first place??) MIME should be handled in a lower layer and it has
nothing to do with OM.

3. How to handle the binary objects? Don't we need a binary node ?

we can build upon the new API as soon as we finalize it
--
Ajith & Srinath

Re: [Axis2][OM] SAAJ like (?) API review

Posted by Sanjiva Weerawarana <sa...@opensource.lk>.
"Ajith Ranabahu" <aj...@gmail.com> writes:
> Even though this is a bit late for this we thought that a proper
> review should be done about the proposed "SAAJ like" API for OM before
> we move on.
> Here are the comments.
>
> 1. The classes must be properly packaged. here are the suggested packages
>     * SOAPxx classes should go into org.apache.axis.om.soap package

Having axis.om.soap implies that OM isn't SOAP specific. Isn't it
indeed SOAP specific? If so I suggest just using org.apache.axis.om.SOAP*.

> 2.MIME classes should not be there. (what are doing inside the OM in
> the first place??) MIME should be handled in a lower layer and it has
> nothing to do with OM.
>
> 3. How to handle the binary objects? Don't we need a binary node ?

We should plan on doing MIME via XOP + MTOM. So to support that
properly I believe we will need some kind of a BinaryNode thing
which retains the binary in native form in memory and serializes
to Base64Binary, HexBinary or MIME.

If we are reading something that looks like
    <foo xsi:type="xsd:base64Binary">...</foo>
then we'd create a binary node containing the un-base64'd bytes
most probably. If the xsi:type is not there or if the typed
reading method isn't called then we'd have to treat the node
as a straight text node.

The BinaryNode impl could use JavaMail DataHandler stuff etc. for
efficient impl to enable large objects etc..

For a start I suggest having a BinaryNode thing and not paying
too much attention beyond that for XOP/MTOM support. I am quite
confident that's all that's going to be necessary!

Sanjiva.

Re: [Axis2][OM] SAAJ like (?) API review

Posted by Aleksander Slominski <as...@cs.indiana.edu>.
+1 to review! and MTOM is *fundemantal* concern form OM API!

alek