Posted to fop-dev@xmlgraphics.apache.org by "Alex V. Alishevskikh" <al...@vismech.ru> on 2001/04/20 08:29:55 UTC

Note for Russian users

Russian localized version of FOP 0.17 have been updated.
New features - supportind the cp1251 and KOI8-R encodings at input
fo-files (not only UTF-8), fixed bug with fo-file encoding distortion.

	http://www.vismech.ru/achtung/rusfop/

Localization of FOP 0.18 in progress.

--
Good work.
Alex "Achtung" Alishevskikh

Visual Mechanics Lab
http://www.vismech.ru

RE: Note for Russian users

Posted by Arved Sandstrom <Ar...@chebucto.ns.ca>.
At 07:42 PM 4/20/01 +0300, Andrew G. Tereschenko wrote:
>A note from Russian user:
>
>I would like to not merge current russian support in
>source tree but add full Unicode support.
>I dislike any command line switches for encoding.
>All latest parsers you have can support Unicode.
>Can i join your developement and make attempt to
>provide full Unicode support - not only A,B,C langs.. ??

Hi, Andrew

All assistance, on any subjects and of any kind - coding, design,
documentation, whatever - is more than welcome.

Regards,
Arved Sandstrom

Fairly Senior Software Type
e-plicity (http://www.e-plicity.com)

Re: Note for Russian users

Posted by Michal Harakal <ha...@web.de>.
> > So I have tried to embedde unicode TTF fonts (e.g. arial.ttf from my
> > windows/font directory) acoording documentation. Also with CVS version I
> > got the same effect as described in Bug #1105, wich is related to
> > version 0.17.
>
> I use 0.18.1 with changes that were commited into CVS on 2001-04-08 and
> since that time I don't face 1105 bug any more, things work fine now
> for me.

With new cvs version it works also fine also for me.

I was a little satisfaction  for me, to see my texts with slovak characters.

Thanks a lot.

Michal Harakal

RE: Note for Russian users

Posted by Petr Andrs <pa...@artax.karlin.mff.cuni.cz>.

On Mon, 23 Apr 2001, Andrew G. Tereschenko wrote:

> [...]

Yes, and switching to unicode will help this. I hate converting
documents between five different encodings that exist for Czech
language.

pa

RE: Note for Russian users

Posted by "Andrew G. Tereschenko" <ta...@ibis.odessa.ua>.

[...]
> Exactly, XML standard enforces only UTF-8 and UTF-16 to be supported,
> so I think you will meet problems with windows-1250 and iso-8859-2 over
> and over. So I think that it is good time to switch to unicode now.

Hmm... Recomendation include all charsets (as fisrt referense) from
ftp://ftp.isi.edu/in-notes/iana/assignments/character-sets
Currently adding support for them must not be a problem
becouse of Unicode libs available (for example IBM ICU-J)

Just my opinion,
Software must not simply work - it must make people work easy.

=============================
Andrew G. Tereschenko
Software Engineer
Integrated Banking Information Systems
tag@ibis.odessa.ua

Re: Note for Russian users

Posted by Petr Andrs <pa...@artax.karlin.mff.cuni.cz>.

Re: Note for Russian users

Posted by Tore Engvig <te...@infostream.no>.

On Mon, 23 Apr 2001, Michal Harakal wrote:

> So I have tried to embedde unicode TTF fonts (e.g. arial.ttf from my
> windows/font directory) acoording documentation.
> Also with CVS version I got the same effect as described in Bug #1105, wich
> is related to version 0.17.
>
> Where can I find Rafal Maczewski's patch for it?

The patch was added to cvs 8. April and is changes to the file
src/org/apache/fop/fonts/TTFSubSetFile.java

You can checkout the last cvs version (which has additional bugfixes) or
download TTFSubSetFile.java from
http://xml.apache.org/websrc/cvsweb.cgi/xml-fop/src/org/apache/fop/fonts/

Tore

Re: Note for Russian users

Posted by Michal Harakal <mi...@datron.de>.

RE: Note for Russian users

Re: Note for Russian users

Posted by Petr Andrs <pa...@artax.karlin.mff.cuni.cz>.

Re: Note for Russian users

Re: Note for Russian users

Posted by Kelly Campbell <ca...@merlot.channelpoint.com>.
Alex,

On Fri, Apr 20, 2001 at 12:29:55PM +0600, Alex V. Alishevskikh wrote:
> Russian localized version of FOP 0.17 have been updated.
> New features - supportind the cp1251 and KOI8-R encodings at input
> fo-files (not only UTF-8), fixed bug with fo-file encoding distortion.
>
> 	http://www.vismech.ru/achtung/rusfop/
>
> Localization of FOP 0.18 in progress.
>
> --
> Good work.
> Alex "Achtung" Alishevskikh
> [mailto:alex@vismech.ru]
>
> Visual Mechanics Lab
> http://www.vismech.ru

Kelly A. Campbell              Software Engineer
<ca...@merlotxml.org>           ChannelPoint, Inc.
<ca...@channelpoint.com>        Colorado Springs, Co.