Posted to user@atlas.apache.org by Andrew Schilling-Payne <as...@gmail.com> on 2018/10/23 12:46:00 UTC

Glossary Terms, or Classifications - which to use when

Is there an acknowledged approach for when to use glossary terms vs.
classifications?
For example if I have an S3 landed file that contains consumer profile
information and within it, a column 'dob'. I want to be able to search for
this field, and others like it, ('birthdate', 'date_of_birth' etc.), and
track it through to a warehouse or MART, and apply policies and governance
to this column.

I could argue that from a semantic labeling point of view it makes sense to
use a Glossary Term and provide a business description, but I could do the
same thing using a Classification.

Is there any guidance, or prior experience users may have had that can help?

TIA

Andrew.