Posted to users@spamassassin.apache.org by Kelson <ke...@speed.net> on 2004/09/13 19:11:53 UTC

Multilingual Spam

Having just received my first Nigerian spam in French, I'm thinking
about language settings again.  In 2.6x, language-specific rules only
apply when SA is run under that locale -- but if it's tied in at the
server level (in our case, through MIMEDefang), it's always going to be
run under the same locale.  And since we're an ISP, we can't rely on
ok_languages or ok_locales, since users can speak all kinds of different
languages.

I assume there is some sort of language-guessing function, or
ok_languages wouldn't exist.  Is there a way for this to trigger running
language-specific rulesets?  Or perhaps to just run all ruleseets,
regardless of language?

--
Kelson Vibber

Re: Multilingual Spam

Posted by Mariano Absatz <el...@gmail.com>.
On Mon, 13 Sep 2004 10:11:53 -0700, Kelson <ke...@speed.net> wrote:
> Having just received my first Nigerian spam in French, I'm thinking
> about language settings again.  In 2.6x, language-specific rules only
> apply when SA is run under that locale -- but if it's tied in at the
> server level (in our case, through MIMEDefang), it's always going to be
> run under the same locale.  And since we're an ISP, we can't rely on
> ok_languages or ok_locales, since users can speak all kinds of different
> languages.
>
> I assume there is some sort of language-guessing function, or
> ok_languages wouldn't exist.  Is there a way for this to trigger running
> language-specific rulesets?  Or perhaps to just run all ruleseets,
> regardless of language?
I had the same problem... I erased the 'lang xxx' from all language
specific rules... and wanted to post something like this here... even
when you DO control your locale settings, it doesn't mean spammers in
languages other than yours will be so kind as to not spam you in their
language...

I receive tons of spams in korean and chinese, and something in German
and French now and then (I also receive tons in English and Spanish,
but I live in a Spanish-speaking country and English is 'THE'
international language for spam).

--
Mariano Absatz - El Baby
el (dot) baby (AT) gmail (dot) com