Posted to users@activemq.apache.org by ewood <wo...@ship.saic.com> on 2006/11/28 21:32:48 UTC

Ordering on distributed queues

I am using AMQ version 4.1 with a topology consisting of two embedded
networked brokers.  I have only a single producer on one broker and a single
consumer on the other and I am using persistent messaging.  Question is, is
there any gauranteed ordering in this situation?  Can I be assured that the
messages will arrive at the consumer in exactly the same sequence thay are
sent, even if there is a timeout/network failure?  Our testing seems to
inidicate that ordering is always preserved, but I want to make sure.

Regards,

Eric

Re: Ordering on distributed queues

Posted by James Strachan <ja...@gmail.com>.
Agreed. Using Mesage Groups can help reduce this issue somewhat as
only 1 consumer is given a group of messages.

--

James
-------

Re: Ordering on distributed queues

Posted by Hiram Chirino <hi...@hiramchirino.com>.
Eric, in general yes. order is preserved.  But there are some edge
cases where it may not like if a client fails and you have multiple
consumers on a queue.  This do to the fact that all the messages that
the failed client had will be redelivered to the other client, and the
redelivered message may be out of order with respect to the message
already delivered to the other client.

On 11/29/06, ewood <wo...@ship.saic.com> wrote:

> I sa w that, but it says that applies for topics and multiple publishers.  My
> question is what is the dispatch policy for a single publisher on a
> distributed queue.
>
> Eric
>

> Marlon Santos wrote:
> >
> > Hi,
> >
> > To be sure, just enable the <strictOrderDispatchPolicy/> here's the url
> > for reference...
> > http://activemq.org/site/total-ordering.html
> >

> > ewood wrote:
> >>
> >> I am using AMQ version 4.1 with a topology consisting of two embedded
> >> networked brokers.  I have only a single producer on one broker and a
> >> single consumer on the other and I am using persistent messaging.
> >> Question is, is there any gauranteed ordering in this situation?  Can I
> >> be assured that the messages will arrive at the consumer in exactly the
> >> same sequence thay are sent, even if there is a timeout/network failure?
> >> Our testing seems to inidicate that ordering is always preserved, but I
> >> want to make sure.
> >>
> >> Regards,
> >>
> >> Eric

Hiram