Posted to users@httpd.apache.org by André Warnier <aw...@ice-sa.com> on 2009/12/03 00:16:26 UTC

[users@httpd] Apache module to handle form-based Authentication

Hi.
On the Tomcat users lists, a problem was submitted which does not have
an easy solution at the Tomcat level.
In the course of attempting to resolve the problem, a suggestion came
up, to use an Apache httpd front-end to Tomcat, perform the
authentication there, and pass the authenticated id to Tomcat.
In the principle, this is entirely feasible, and is not the issue.

But the issue is that the authentication mechanism in certain cases,
requires a html form based login, and that there does not seem to exist
a standard module, part of the standard Apache distribution, which
offers such a form-based login.

Does someone know of a current module (internal or external to Apache
itself), which offers this ?

Subsidiary question : I remember from the last ApacheCON Europe in
Amsterdam, that there was some talk about an Apache session module
(mod_session ?), which I suppose could have this as a part. But I have
never heard again of that Apache session module.
Is there any news on that ?

Thanks
André

Re: [users@httpd] Apache module to handle form-based Authentication

Posted by Peter Schober <pe...@univie.ac.at>.
* André Warnier <aw...@ice-sa.com> [2009-12-03 00:53]:
> You are also not contradicting my guess that mod_session might include a
> form-based login scheme, but not explicitly confirming it either.  Does
> it ?

Yes, http://httpd.apache.org/docs/trunk/mod/mod_auth_form.html
-peter

Re: [users@httpd] Apache module to handle form-based Authentication

Posted by André Warnier <aw...@ice-sa.com>.
Nick Kew wrote:
> On 2 Dec 2009, at 23:16, André Warnier wrote:
>
>> Does someone know of a current module (internal or external to Apache itself), which offers this ?
>>

>> Subsidiary question : I remember from the last ApacheCON Europe in Amsterdam, that there was some talk about an Apache session module (mod_session ?), which I suppose could have this as a part. But I have never heard again of that Apache session module.
>> Is there any news on that ?
>
> It's in trunk (and 2.3.4).

Apologies for my lack of knowledge of such matters, but what does that
mean from a practical, Apache user's point of view ?
Is it available to be used ?
Can it be used with Apache 2.2.14 ?
Is it "safe" to use ?
Any wild guesstimate about a possible timeframe for the release of
Apache 2.4 ?

Posted by Nick Kew <ni...@webthing.com>.
On 2 Dec 2009, at 23:16, André Warnier wrote:

> Does someone know of a current module (internal or external to Apache itself), which offers this ?
>

> Subsidiary question : I remember from the last ApacheCON Europe in Amsterdam, that there was some talk about an Apache session module (mod_session ?), which I suppose could have this as a part. But I have never heard again of that Apache session module.
> Is there any news on that ?

It's in trunk (and 2.3.4).

--
Nick Kew