Posted to user@jmeter.apache.org by ohaya <oh...@yahoo.com.INVALID> on 2021/01/06 20:34:09 UTC

How to configure test plan to run for "x" seconds with Jmeter 5.2.1?

I recently started migrating to Jmeter 5.2.1 (from Jmeter 4.x) and I am unclear how to configure a test plan with a thread group that would cause the test to run for 'x' seconds?

In V4.x, I would configure the thread group:

- Check the "infinite" check box
- Set the Duration to 'x' msecs

But V5.2.1 has 3 check boxes and 2 field to enter:

- Checkbox: Same user on each iteration
- Checkbox: Delay thread creation until needed
- Checkbox: Specify Thread Lifetime

The 2 text boxes appear to be grayed/locked out until you check the last checkbox?

The 2 fields are:

- Duration (seconds)
- Startup Delay (seconds)

So which checkboxes should I check in order to just have the test plan to run for the Duration?

Thanks,
Jim

Re: How to configure test plan to run for "x" seconds with Jmeter 5.2.1?

Posted by ohaya <oh...@yahoo.com.INVALID>.
 Hi,

Ok, thanks!

     On Friday, January 8, 2021, 06:13:56 AM EST, Felix Schumacher <fe...@internetallee.de> wrote:

Am 06.01.21 um 21:34 schrieb ohaya:
> I recently started migrating to Jmeter 5.2.1 (from Jmeter 4.x) and I am unclear how to configure a test plan with a thread group that would cause the test to run for 'x' seconds?
>
> In V4.x, I would configure the thread group:
>
> - Check the "infinite" check box
> - Set the Duration to 'x' msecs
>
> But V5.2.1 has 3 check boxes and 2 field to enter:
>
> - Checkbox: Same user on each iteration
> - Checkbox: Delay thread creation until needed
> - Checkbox: Specify Thread Lifetime
>
> The 2 text boxes appear to be grayed/locked out until you check the last checkbox?
>
> The 2 fields are:
>
> - Duration (seconds)
> - Startup Delay (seconds)
>
> So which checkboxes should I check in order to just have the test plan to run for the Duration?

If you want to setup a duration for the test plan, you have to check
"Specify Thread Lifetime" to enable scheduled test runs. The duration is
then the time span the test plan will be allowed to run and the delay is
the time after which the test plan will start.

The other options are for fine tuning the behaviour of when threads will
start and how http sessions will be used. Those should be documented on
https://jmeter.apache.org/usermanual/component_reference.html#Thread_Group
("Same user on each iteration" seems to be missing).

Felix

Posted by Felix Schumacher <fe...@internetallee.de>.