Posted to users@httpd.apache.org by Benjamin Cuthbert <be...@db.com> on 2006/11/08 16:38:40 UTC

[users@httpd] client side certificates authentication in virtual hosts

All

Can you run two SSL virtual host URLS on the same IP address and have one
running with no client certificate authentication and one running without
client authentication. I have tried it and the options

         SSLVerifyClient require
        SSLVerifyDepth 1

But when this is enabled on one of the virtual hosts it takes out the
other virtual host and i am unable to connect.

Regards

Ben Cuthbert
Deutsche Bank AG
Corporate & Investment Bank
GTO : TISO / Arch Global Finance / Prime Services
PGP: http://pgp.mit.edu
+44 (0) 20 754 76389 (Tel)
+44 (0) 20 754 74996 (Fax)

---

e-mail is strictly forbidden.

Re: [users@httpd] client side certificates authentication in virtual hosts

Posted by Serge Dubrouski <se...@gmail.com>.
On 11/8/06, Benjamin Cuthbert <be...@db.com> wrote:

> They does not sound like such a good idea, what if i bound the new virtual
> host to a new IP address would i then be able to
> run both in different modes ?

That sounds much better. And you will be able to have different Server
certificates and different Client Verification modes for them.

Posted by Benjamin Cuthbert <be...@db.com>.
They does not sound like such a good idea, what if i bound the new virtual
host to a new IP address would i then be able to
run both in different modes ?

Regards

Ben Cuthbert
Deutsche Bank AG
Corporate & Investment Bank
GTO : TISO / Arch Global Finance / Prime Services
PGP: http://pgp.mit.edu
+44 (0) 20 754 76389 (Tel)
+44 (0) 20 754 74996 (Fax)

"Serge Dubrouski" <se...@gmail.com>
11/08/2006 03:52 PM
Please respond to
users@httpd.apache.org

users@httpd.apache.org
cc

Subject

Posted by Serge Dubrouski <se...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Joshua Slive <jo...@slive.ca>.
On 11/8/06, Benjamin Cuthbert <be...@db.com> wrote:

> All
>
> Can you run two SSL virtual host URLS on the same IP address and have one
> running with no client certificate authentication and one running without
> client authentication. I have tried it and the options
>
>          SSLVerifyClient require
>         SSLVerifyDepth 1
>
> But when this is enabled on one of the virtual hosts it takes out the other
> virtual host and i am unable to connect.

When using one IP address, you'll likely have the same problem with
the client certificates that you do with the server certificates: the
certificate must be selected before the hostname is known.  So I doubt
this will work.

Joshua.