Posted to users@spamassassin.apache.org by MIKE YRABEDRA <sa...@323inc.com> on 2005/01/19 00:12:48 UTC

A good stats script?

What is a good script that folks are using to generate SA stats off a mail
log?

Re: A good stats script?

Posted by Mike Burger <mb...@bubbanfriends.org>.
spamstats.pl

--
Mike Burger
http://www.bubbanfriends.org

Visit the Dog Pound II BBS

To be notified of updates to the web site, visit
message to:

site-update-request@bubbanfriends.org

with a message of:

subscribe

Re: A good stats script?

Posted by "Jack L. Stone" <ja...@sage-american.com>.
At 09:20 AM 1.19.2005 -0500, help@nantucket.net wrote:
>Hey, on redhat/sendmail
>
>How do i split out the spamd log like you did?

I run FBSD Unix, but imagine Linux setup is similar. Here's how I did it:

1) modify /etc/syslog.conf to add a facility, like so:
   # local2.*		/var/log/spamd.log
2) touch a file /var/log/spamd.log
3) set up rotation in /etc/newsyslog.conf
   # /var/log/spamd.log   640  7     *    @T00  B
4) restart syslogd
5) restart spamd with the above facility:
   # /usr/local/bin/spamd --syslog=local2 -u whoever -x -d -r
/var/run/spamd/spamd.pid

The above spamd flags are for my own needs, but you may need some different
ones.
See man spamd(1) for the flags.... --syslog=local2 could be shortened to -s
local2

The facility "local2" depends on whether you have others local0 & local1
already used as I do.
Otherwise, use local0.

That ought to do it.... Disclaimer: there may be other ways.

HTH.

Happy trails,
Jack L. Stone

System Admin
Sage-american

Re: A good stats script?

Posted by "Jack L. Stone" <ja...@sage-american.com>.
At 05:55 AM 1.19.2005 -0500, Mike Yrabedra wrote:

>Jack,
>
>Thanks for the info. Where would I get this version of the script? Will it
>work on a regular spamd log?

Mike:
Yes, it works on a spamd log. In fact, I re-direct all spamd info to
/var/log/spamd.log and run the script against that pure file.

I downloaded that script while SA-3.0 was going through shake-down through
various stages of RCs. I noted the file is dated July 2004, so suspect I
got it from a tarball.

If you or anyone can't locate it & needs a copy, I guess it would be okay
if I posted it for download.

Let me know.....

Happy trails,
Jack L. Stone

System Admin
Sage-american

Re: A good stats script?

Posted by "Jack L. Stone" <ja...@sage-american.com>.
At 08:22 PM 1.18.2005 -0500, MIKE YRABEDRA wrote:
>on 1/18/05 6:12 PM, MIKE YRABEDRA at sa@323inc.com wrote:
>
>> What is a good script that folks are using to generate SA stats off a mail
>> log?
>

>I am mainly looking for one that reports on the rulesets that are catching
>the spam too. I don't think sa-stats.pl does that?

Well, you might be interested in this report from sa-stats.pl showing 4+
hours of scans by SA. Most of my filtering is done by 3 or 4 other layers
at the MTA, so this is all that gets through to the SA that I use for the
final filtering layer. Most is ham at this point.

The top half is for spams and the bottom for ham:
http://www.sage-american.com/spamstats.html

HTH......

Happy trails,
Jack L. Stone

System Admin
Sage-american

Re: A good stats script?

Posted by Mike Burger <mb...@bubbanfriends.org>.
On Tue, 18 Jan 2005, MIKE YRABEDRA wrote:

> on 1/18/05 6:12 PM, MIKE YRABEDRA at sa@323inc.com wrote:
>
> > What is a good script that folks are using to generate SA stats off a mail
> > log?
>

> I am mainly looking for one that reports on the rulesets that are catching
> the spam too. I don't think sa-stats.pl does that?

Nope...not that I'm aware of...but, then again, I don't use all of the
options available.

Re: A good stats script?

Posted by MIKE YRABEDRA <sa...@323inc.com>.
on 1/18/05 6:12 PM, MIKE YRABEDRA at sa@323inc.com wrote:

> What is a good script that folks are using to generate SA stats off a mail
> log?

I am mainly looking for one that reports on the rulesets that are catching
the spam too. I don't think sa-stats.pl does that?

Mike Yrabedra (President)
323 Incorporated
Our Sites:
MacDock.com
MacAgent.com
iTuneAgent.com
MacSurfShop.com
W: http://www.323inc.com/
P: 770.382.1195
F: 734.448.5164
E: mike@323inc.com
I: ichatmacdock
"Whatever you do, work at it with all your heart,
as working for the Lord, not for men."
~Colossians 3:23 <{{{><