Posted to dev@httpd.apache.org by Rodent of Unusual Size <co...@decus.org> on 1997/07/07 22:54:25 UTC

Help on Proxy Setup (fwd)

    Ack'ed.

    I don't use the proxy, so I'm over my head here.

    #ken    :-)}
Date: Mon, 07 Jul 1997 13:02:35 -0700
From: Gopakumar H <go...@global.com>
Subject: Help on Proxy Setup
To: Coar@DECUS.Org

Hi,
I got ur email address from apache org website. Sorry to bother u. I
have been trying to setup the following proxy setup since a week, but in
vain. Could u pls. help me. Also a suggestion: If u find this question
relevant pls. add this point to the FAQ. Here is my problem:

I am setting up an Apache server which should also act as a
CachingProxy. So from my internal network if somebody requests for
http://www.xxx.com it should be handled by the server and when I request
http://home.microsoft.com it should hand it over to another proxy in
another machine. But now what happens is it gives an error
/usr/local/etc/www/data/http://home.microsoft.com File does not exist.
And it sends the default page.

I am totally new to this setup. I don't understand why the server is
looking into it's own directory, but I know that this is the syntax of
requesting thru proxies.

These are the Proxy lines in my httpd.conf

ProxyRequests On
ProxyRemote * http://www.xxx.com

Could u pls. help me doing the setup.

To be short:
I want the Apache server to forward all the requests coming from any
internal machine to another proxy server on another machine. The URL
should not be edited; say http://home.microsoft.com should go as it is.
Also if possible stop any external machine to proxy thru the apache
server.

Thanks in prior

--Gopu (gopu@global.com)

RE: Help on Proxy Setup (fwd)

Posted by Lars Eilebrecht <La...@unix-ag.org>.
(copies to gopus@global.com and new-httpd)

[...]
> ProxyRequests On
> ProxyRemote * http://www.xxx.com

ProxyRemote is buggy, as I reported in PR656.
mod_proxy sends the request:

  GET /something HTTP/1.1
  Host: www.somewhere.com

to the named proxy (eg. www.xxx.com).

But it should be a proxy request like this:

  GET http://www.somewhere.com/something HTTP/1.1

(the host header is optional).

Chuck Murcko told me some weeks ago that he'll fix it and that this
bug was introduced with the first changes to achieve HTTP/1.1 compliance...
but I think it wasn't fixed for 1.2.1. Correct me if I'm wrong.

> I want the Apache server to forward all the requests coming from any
> internal machine to another proxy server on another machine. The URL
> should not be edited; say http://home.microsoft.com should go as it is.
> Also if possible stop any external machine to proxy thru the apache
> server.

I'm afraid you have to wait for a fixed version of mod_proxy.

Regards...
--
Lars Eilebrecht