Posted to user@jmeter.apache.org by skmami <sk...@yahoo.com> on 2010/01/26 00:34:58 UTC

JDBC Request under load is not scaling on the JMeter end

Greetings,

I am using the JMeter version 2.3.4 to load test a JDBC SQL against the
Oracle 11g R2 database. It is a simple single INSERT statement as shown
below:

INSERT INTO LOG.LOG_INFORMATION (SCENARIO_ID, CREATION_TIME, CALLER_NAME,
FLOW_DIRECTION_TYPE, INSTANCE_VALUE, TARGET_NAME, PAYLOAD_MESSAGE_TEXT)
VALUES ('Test', CURRENT_TIMESTAMP, 'TEST', 'in', '200', 'Test',    'message
text')

I was able to setup the JDBC Connection Configuration and I created a JDBC
Sampler with query type of : Update Statement(Documentation says I can use
either Update Statement of Prepared Update Statement to do the INSERTs).

It works great with Number of Threads set to: 1 and Loop count set to : 60.
With these setting I see the average response time as 2ms and through put as
: 20000 per minute.

I changed the Number of the Threads to : 2 and Loop count still set to : 60
I get 43ms average response time and my through put goes down to : 2700 per
minute.

I changed the Number of threads to : 5 and loop count still set to : 60 I
see my average response time degraded to 208 ms and my through put also
tanks to something like : 860 per minute.

Obviously one thinks that database is the culprit and you might say it needs
to be tuned etc.

Before I ventured into tuning exercise on the database I took the same SQL
and created a Java Bean and exposed this as a Web Service call which I
tested with Soap UI.

I test with 1 thread I get 31.69ms average response time.
I test with 2 threads I got 37.4 ms average response time.
I tested with 5 threads and I got 73.74 ms average response time.

Even with adding the over head of the webservice to the JDBC call I am
getting better performance and throughput with soapUI where as with Jmeter
testing the same SQL I am getting much worse results with only a SQL
statement.

Please can somebody let me know if anyone has seen any behavior.

Thanks
Satish

Re: JDBC Request under load is not scaling on the JMeter end

Posted by sebb <se...@gmail.com>.
On 25/01/2010, skmami <sk...@yahoo.com> wrote:

>  I just want to another piece of information : I am using IBM JDK v6 that
>  comes with the WebSphere Application Server version 7.0.
>
>  Out of curiosity I switched to Sun JDK and it seems to work great with Sun
>  JDK however with IBM JDK it exhibits the problem I described earlier.

Just to clarify what you mean by "it works":

Are you saying that your JMeter script works fine when using the Sun
JDK, but does not work well with the IBM JDK?

If so, that suggests the problem is with the IBM JDK, not JMeter.

Posted by skmami <sk...@yahoo.com>.