Posted to user@ignite.apache.org by steven <st...@gmail.com> on 2019/05/22 19:16:29 UTC

Is Apache Ignite appropriate for my use case?

Hi, I need to manage a large fleet of servers (around 100k machines). Each
node contains a subset of the data (basically binary blobs) in memory. The
data store is a separate database.

I am trying to provide a binary blob lookup service (in greatly simplified
terms). For each incoming request (which contains a binary string), every
node should perform matching of the string against its subset of the data.
When the first matching binary blob is found, that result is returned, and
all other nodes should stop searching. If no matches are found, NOT_FOUND
should be returned. Requests must be handled within 5 seconds.

If any node fails, it must be revived with the same subset of data that it
had before.

One challenge is how to handle node failure in the middle of a request. It
is unlikely that a node will be revived quickly enough to respond within 5
seconds. Most likely there should be standby nodes that will retrieve the
failing node's subset of data from the data store and perform matching upon
being notified of node failure.

Is Apache Ignite appropriate for this use case?

Thanks,
Steven

Re: Is Apache Ignite appropriate for my use case?

Posted by Denis Magda <dm...@apache.org>.
Folks,

If you have a replication factor set to 1 (aka. backup) then a loss of a
primary node won't affect the availability of your cluster as long as the
backup will be serving the requests.

-
Denis