Posted to dev@devicemap.apache.org by Radu Cotescu <ra...@apache.org> on 2016/11/14 13:29:43 UTC

[IMPORTANT] Apache DeviceMap going to Attic

Hello,

As you might have noticed on dev@ [0], Bertrand has chosen to resign from
the PMC. Since the PMC has only two members right now, this doesn't offer a
viable number of people to manage the project.

Furthermore, the development activity has stagnated in the last year, which
has led me to think that it might be better to move the project to Attic
[1], which I'll suggest to the board in this month's report.

Regards,
Radu

[0] -
https://lists.apache.org/thread.html/b0affb5c87a005bdd827de36532a8087dc0fa373edaa230c37439b43@%3Cdev.devicemap.apache.org%3E
[1] - https://attic.apache.org/

Re: [IMPORTANT] Apache DeviceMap going to Attic

Posted by Bertrand Delacretaz <bd...@apache.org>.
On Mon, Nov 14, 2016 at 2:29 PM, Radu Cotescu <ra...@apache.org> wrote:
> ...it might be better to move the project to Attic
> [1], which I'll suggest to the board in this month's report....

+1

-Bertrand

Re: [IMPORTANT] Apache DeviceMap going to Attic

Posted by Marvin Humphrey <ma...@apache.org>.

On 2016-12-13 01:09 (-0800), Werner Keil <we...@gmail.com> wrote:

> I don't know, if and how long after the board meeting the SVN will be
> writabe, so prefer doing it now.

It is not good for there to be commits to a project with no one to oversee them, particularly if they may be consequential or controversial. Though I believe that the technical answer is that the timing of resources closing down depends on whatever volunteer takes the steps to initiate the sequence of Attic requests with Infra, you should not plan to make changes to the project after it has been retired.

This seems to have gone on for a long time.  Even if the VOTE is not tidied up or the promised doc commits landed, since DeviceMap does not have a functional PMC, the Board may consider retiring the project regardless a week from tomorrow. The community has received ample notice.

Marvin Humphrey

Re: [IMPORTANT] Apache DeviceMap going to Attic

Posted by Werner Keil <we...@gmail.com>.
Just here for the list, I won't bother uploading the images to the VM or
elsewhere any more, but Maven based downloads of DeviceMap (data +
classifier client) saw an all time high of 289 downloads in August 2016.
Around twice highest numbers we saw in 2015 (around 160 combined) and last
month it was still higher than any month between graduation and 2015 with
212 downloads combined.
See for yourself if you want by logging into
https://repository.apache.org/#central-stat with a valid Apache committer
account.

That kind of demand and activity will likely continue regardless of
DeviceMap being archived. By offering a minimum documentation before the
plug is pulled, it makes it a bit easier for people to know where to get
it, but those who did so far will continue to do so at least for some time
or until appropriate Open Source replacements exist.

Cheers,
Werner

Re: [IMPORTANT] Apache DeviceMap going to Attic

Posted by Werner Keil <we...@gmail.com>.
This list has always been a little weird, after "You know who" attempted to
tamper with it and/or things like JIRA because he would not accept input
and opinion by anybody else. Until now I can send messages into the list,
but never get any notifications. I am not sure, if that's what you intended
earlier, but it does not matter much longer as you said, so let's not worry
about that any more.

He (you know who) also repeatedly tried to delete entire parts of the
DeviceMap codebase he either did not like or understand or both. That was
totally unacceptable for a collaborative Open Source project whether at
Apache Foundation or elsewhere. Those who misbehaved that way eventually
leaving the project was a logical consequence.

The lion share of commits over the whole period of the project (also
incubation, but the historic archive for that only seems to cover this
"dev" list?) show it was pretty much split across 2 committers/PMC members.
A small number was also committed by Radu, Bertrand (mostly organizational
or undoing prior violations of Apache practice by individual people) as
well as Volkan (briefly in early 2015) and Eberhard (with .NET artifacts
that more or less worked only on his PC till I fixed it with 1.0.1 last
year)

GitHub visualizes that rather nicely, but we never got to using Git, so
there is no GitHub mirror except one small part (Browsermap). I won't point
to it again, feel free to check out what you know who put "Data forked from
Apache DeviceMap (OpenDDR) 1.0.3" to GitHub and the last push was over a
year ago on Dec 1, 2015. So the single committer no longer commits to that
either while nobody would keep him from doing so.

Werner

Re: [IMPORTANT] Apache DeviceMap going to Attic

Posted by Werner Keil <we...@gmail.com>.
Bertrand/all,

Sorry but the fact is, there were many committers and they did not
commit for whatever reason.

Several committers (or their peers, there was nothing private or
"secret" about it) expressed their hope or faith to do so, but could
not fulfill those promises.

That is why the activity was extremely low. Both you and Radu did not
actively commit other than administrative tasks, you were clear and
honest about that. Others who joined as committers may only have
played the role of "observer" (that's what JSRs have for people who do
not intend to actively participate) while joining as "committer". Some
probably only subscribed to mailing lists like this one, the

When Humphrey stated DeviceMap does not have a functional PMC I guess
he meant the situation after you resigned having only 2 PMC members.
The problem that only 2 PMC members out of the 13-15 committers really
did commit existed before that. It always has. There is no way to talk
around it or pretend it did not.

Glad this is also recorded in the archive.

The problem of lacking resources is not that of a few companies be it
Adobe, Oracle or others. That is not a secret and the activity stats,
dormant or withdrawn projects (JSRs) also speak a clear language. As
do efforts by closed-source proprietary vendors to benefit from such
weakness.

Check out the response of fellow Java EE Guardian Pavel Pscheidl to a
Gartner post proclaiming Java EE dead:
http://www.pscheidl.cz/opinions/Gartner-JavaEE-report/

Something like that (Gartner paper) is what you can easily call
defamation of companies and technologies to push some others or some
agenda.

I simply summarized what you can find out for yourself on the other
list http://mail-archives.apache.org/mod_mbox/devicemap-commits/ if
you want. Especially how many individual committers were involved in
those commits in each period of time.

Cheers,

Werner

Re: [IMPORTANT] Apache DeviceMap going to Attic

Posted by Bertrand Delacretaz <bd...@apache.org>.
On Thu, Dec 15, 2016 at 10:59 AM, Werner Keil <we...@gmail.com> wrote:
> The real problem of course was from day one, that DeviceMap had no
> functional committers:-/

I'll just state that the following elements of your message, quoted in
full below, are unacceptable in Apache projects:

-Violating someone's privacy by publishing the outcome of
conversations that you say you had with their manager
-Defamation of people and companies by making unfounded derogatory
statements about them while presenting them as facts

As this list is going to be closed soon I think we'll just leave it at
that, I just wanted our archives to include this statement.

-Bertrand

On 2016-12-13 01:09 (-0800), Werner Keil <we...@gmail.com> wrote:

> I don't know, if and how long after the board meeting the SVN will be
> writabe, so prefer doing it now.

It is not good for there to be commits to a project with no one to
oversee them, particularly
if they may be consequential or controversial. Though I believe that
the technical answer
is that the timing of resources closing down depends on whatever
volunteer takes the steps
to initiate the sequence of Attic requests with Infra, you should not
plan to make changes
to the project after it has been retired.

This seems to have gone on for a long time.  Even if the VOTE is not
tidied up or the promised
doc commits landed, since DeviceMap does not have a functional PMC,
the Board may consider
retiring the project regardless a week from tomorrow. The community
has received ample notice.

Marvin Humphrey

Werner Keil | JCP Executive Committee Member, JSR 363 Co Spec Lead |
Eclipse UOMo Lead, Babel Language Champion | Apache Committer

Twitter @wernerkeil | @UnitAPI | @JSR354 | @AgoravaProj | @TamayaConf |
#DevOps | #EclipseUOMo
Skype werner.keil | Google+ gplus.to/wernerkeil

Posted by Werner Keil <we...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Radu Cotescu <ra...@apache.org>.
Ok, thanks for the update!

Posted by Werner Keil <we...@gmail.com>.
Hi,

Posted by Volkan Yazıcı <vo...@gmail.com>.
It has been months since we decided moving the project to the attic.
I also do not see a reason to wait any longer.
These discussions do not serve a purpose any more, except creating noise, I
think.

Posted by Bertrand Delacretaz <bd...@apache.org>.
Hi,

Posted by Radu Cotescu <ra...@apache.org>.