Posted to dev@cocoon.apache.org by Stephan Michels <st...@apache.org> on 2002/06/28 00:12:58 UTC

Conflicts between versions of Avalon framework and excalibur

I noticed the following exception:

java.lang.NoSuchMethodError:
org.apache.avalon.framework.component.ComponentException: method
<init>(Ljava/lang/String;Ljava/lang/String;)V not found
	at
org.apache.avalon.excalibur.component.ExcaliburComponentSelector.select(ExcaliburComponentSelector.java:270)
	at
org.apache.cocoon.components.ExtendedComponentSelector.select(ExtendedComponentSelector.java:299)
	at
org.apache.cocoon.components.treeprocessor.sitemap.MatchNodeBuilder.buildNode(MatchNodeBuilder.java:91)
	at
org.apache.cocoon.components.treeprocessor.sitemap.PipelineNodeBuilder.buildNode(PipelineNodeBuilder.java:116)
	at
org.apache.cocoon.components.treeprocessor.AbstractParentProcessingNodeBuilder.buildChildNodesList(AbstractParentProcessingNodeBuilder.java:156)
[...]

I think the new version 20020627 of excalibur mismatch with the version of
framework.

RE: Conflicts between versions of Avalon framework and excalibur

Posted by Berin Loritsch <bl...@apache.org>.
Avalon Framework introduced two new constructors (deprecating the old
ones)
so that the exceptions and stack traces could be made more meaningful.

The ComponentException now records the role that caused the exception:

try
{
    manager.lookup(ComponentOne.ROLE);
    manager.lookup(ComponentTwo.ROLE);
}
catch (ComponentException ce)
{
    getLogger().log("Exception caused by " + ce.getRole(), ce);
}

This allows you to authoritatively tell whether it was ComponentOne's
lookup or ComponentTwo's lookup that caused the exception.

The new class looks like this (impls hidden):

ComponentException
{
    /** @deprecated constructors */
    ComponentException(String message);
    ComponentException(String message, Throwable parent);

    /** New constructors */
    ComponentException(String role, String message);
    ComponentException(String role, String message, Throwable parent);

    Throwable getCause();
    String getRole();
}

The problem with using CVS versions of Avalon, is that unless you
are subscribed to the lists, you miss changes like this.