Posted to dev@openoffice.apache.org by Carl Marcum <cm...@apache.org> on 2021/03/28 14:14:18 UTC

[DISCUSS] need for a AOO41X branch

Hi All,

I'm wondering if we should create a branch we can use for continuation
of the 4.1.x line to have a place to PR cherry-picks, bug fixes, etc. in
case we need another release on that line.

For instance I've got a number of commits (about 26) I've cherry picked
mostly from Damjan's work on fixing flaky tests and new tests that never
made into the 4.1 line that I don't have a place to put them.

This is assuming we're not using AOO419 for this.

Best regards,
Carl

Re: [DISCUSS] need for a AOO41X branch

Posted by Patricia Shanahan <pa...@acm.org>.
That should be documented in “How to Cook a Release”

Patricia

Posted by Marcus <ma...@wtnet.de>.
Am 28.03.21 um 17:39 schrieb Carl Marcum:
> On 3/28/21 11:02 AM, Marcus wrote:
>> Am 28.03.21 um 16:14 schrieb Carl Marcum:
>>> I'm wondering if we should create a branch we can use for
>>> continuation of the 4.1.x line to have a place to PR cherry-picks,
>>> bug fixes, etc. in case we need another release on that line.
>>
>> IMHO we have already agreed in the past that we want to create a new
>> AOO41X branch when a release has been published.
>
> Great, can that be done from GitHub or does it have to start with Gitbox?
> I only have the GitHub repo.
> I've created feature branches from GitHub but not one this important :)

sorry, I've no clue how to do it. Normally Jim has done it for the last
releaes. Or Matthias could maybe also help.

> Would it just branch from AOO419 head?

Yes

> If so and GitHub is fine then I can create it.
>
>>> For instance I've got a number of commits (about 26) I've cherry
>>> picked mostly from Damjan's work on fixing flaky tests and new tests
>>> that never made into the 4.1 line that I don't have a place to put them.
>>
>> Would be great. Don't forget to place them also into the AOO420 branch
>> and trunk if not yet done.
>
> I believe they already exist in both trunk and AOO42X but I'll check.
>

>>> This is assuming we're not using AOO419 for this.
>>
>> We shouldn't use 1 branch for 2 or more releases. Then it's not clear
>> which commits belong to what release.
>
> That's what I thought.

Marcus

Re: [DISCUSS] need for a AOO41X branch