Posted to users@tomcat.apache.org by Chad Arimura <ch...@alldorm.com> on 2003/09/03 20:18:22 UTC

Apache/Tomcat Appbase

I'm new to tomcat so this question might not make sense.

Is it a security risk (or a bad practice) to make the appbase of both
apache httpd and Tomcat the same?  To me, it seems logical because then
I can serve .jsp files through Tomcat, and all other content through
httpd without having to put these contents in different directories...
(eg /var/www/myApp and /usr/tomcat/myApp).

I'm using Tomcat 4.1, Apache 2, and jk2.

Thanks,
Chad Arimura
AllDorm Inc.

RE: Apache/Tomcat Appbase

Posted by Chad Arimura <ne...@alldorm.com>.
Thanks Iain.

We have a pretty complex virtual host setup already configured in Apache
which is why I felt it best to use apache as a front-end.  It's also for
educational purpose.

Cheers,
Chad

Re: Apache/Tomcat Appbase

Posted by John Turner <to...@johnturner.com>.
As long as you protect your WEB-INF and META-INF directories with the
appropriate Apache directives, and your connector mapping is correct,
and you don't use the Invoker servlet, you're good to go.

All of my virtual hosts have the Apache DocumentRoot setup that way.

John