Posted to dev@netbeans.apache.org by Christian Lenz <ch...@gmx.net> on 2017/10/03 14:47:31 UTC

iCLA needed for Module Reviews?

Because I asked for help in the slack chan to Review the modules, I get a question:

„is there any contribution agreement to sign?“

In General yes, but is this iCLA needed for module Review too?

Regards

Chris

Re: iCLA needed for Module Reviews?

Posted by Craig Russell <ap...@gmail.com>.
Module review: checking for missing/incorrect license headers, amending RAT exclusions, adding/changing license headers, removing trailing blanks.

IMHO: not sufficient IP to warrant requiring an ICLA.

But as everyone else here says, t's always good to have an ICLA if you are planning on contributing.

Craig

> On Oct 3, 2017, at 7:59 AM, Emilian Bold <em...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> So I merged at least one or two commits already, just because they were
> small enough.
>
> I agree.
>

> --emi
>
> On Tue, Oct 3, 2017 at 5:54 PM, Matthias Bläsing <mb...@doppel-helix.eu>
> wrote:
>
>> Hi,
>>
>> Am Dienstag, den 03.10.2017, 16:47 +0200 schrieb Christian Lenz:
>>> Because I asked for help in the slack chan to Review the modules, I
>>> get a question:
>>>
>>> „is there any contribution agreement to sign?“
>>>
>>> In General yes, but is this iCLA needed for module Review too?
>>
>> the work itself needs to be done and is valuable, but I don't see this
>> reaching the level of creativity, that is needed for IP protection.
>>
>> So I merged at least one or two commits already, just because they were
>> small enough.
>>
>> Greetings
>>
>> Matthias

Craig L Russell
Secretary, Apache Software Foundation
clr@apache.org http://db.apache.org/jdo

Re: iCLA needed for Module Reviews?

Posted by Emilian Bold <em...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Matthias Bläsing <mb...@doppel-helix.eu>.
Hi,

AW: iCLA needed for Module Reviews?

Posted by Christian Lenz <ch...@gmx.net>.
Of Course it is always good, but if it is not needed for the module Review for the users to bring it on, it will be ok.

Gesendet von Mail für Windows 10

PS: Note how the iCLA may be digitally signed with PGP. No need to FAX
stuff.

--emi

Posted by Matthias Bläsing <mb...@doppel-helix.eu>.
Hi,

Am Dienstag, den 03.10.2017, 17:50 +0300 schrieb Emilian Bold:
> PS: Note how the iCLA may be digitally signed with PGP. No need to
> FAX
> stuff.

it does not even need to be signed by PGP. I printed the sheet, filled
it, scanned it and emailed it to apache. Very painless!

Greetings

Matthias

Re: iCLA needed for Module Reviews?

Posted by Emilian Bold <em...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Emilian Bold <em...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Geertjan Wielenga <ge...@googlemail.com>.
I think it's always good to get your iCLA sorted out, it's not hard,
regardless of whether you need it for this specific task.

https://www.apache.org/licenses/icla.pdf

Gj