Posted to user@struts.apache.org by Unmesh joshi <un...@hotmail.com> on 2009/11/27 15:19:57 UTC

RE: user Digest 27 Nov 2009 09:04:42 -0000 Issue 8940

>> The default etag value of the object's hashcode is really only meant
>> as a helpful default to get you going. I'd highly recommend setting
>> your own etag value with something like the underlying db row's
>> timestamp or whatever.
I think this default implementation is very misleading and you will only notice it if you get into any issues.  It will never work in scenarios where final http response is composed by decorator techniques like sitemesh or JSP being rendered uses <s:action> to invoke other actions and compose response from them. For something like ETag, I think its much better to compute its value in a filter after the complete response is rendered. I strongly feel that this needs to be changed and HTTP caching policy should be taken out of DefaultHttpHeaders and designed carefully.
Thanks,Unmesh

http://windows.microsoft.com/shop