Posted to dev@commons.apache.org by Glenn Nielsen <gl...@voyager.apg.more.net> on 2002/02/12 14:37:01 UTC

[Fwd: Servlet Filters Proposal]

Here is the link:

http://cvs.apache.org/viewcvs/jakarta-commons-sandbox/filters/PROPOSAL.html

-------- Original Message --------
Subject: Servlet Filters Proposal
Date: Tue, 12 Feb 2002 07:36:11 -0600
From: Glenn Nielsen <gl...@voyager.apg.more.net>
To: commons-dev@jakarta.apache.org

I have started putting together a proposal for Jakarta-Filters.
Once this effort has been bootstrapped in jakarta-commons-sandbox
this can be proposed to the PMC as a top level project if enough
interest exists.

If you are interested in contributing to Servlet Filters please read
the proposal below and send me your comments.  Let me know if I missed
any filters or committers.

As I have time I will work on setting up jakarta-commons-sandbox/filters
using the build and organization pattern from the Jakarta-Taglibs Project.

Once we have a build framework setup we can start adding filters.

Regards,

Glenn

Re: Servlet Filters Proposal]

Posted by Lavandowska <fl...@yahoo.com>.
--- Serge Knystautas <se...@lokitech.com> wrote:
> I'm not sure how far along your cache filter is, but I wrote one

I based in off of the Commons-Cache project.  It's "finished".

> do was improve some threading issues and get the cache to support
> binary
> content and additional response information (like content type and
> content-length).

Hmm, haven't done the header stuff, but it sounds like a good idea.  It
hasn't really been necessary to date, but its only been in the testing
phase to date.

> Let me know when you have some code to share, and I'll be happy to

Find attached jar.
There is one major section I've identified for improvement (identified
in comments) related to specifying what *not* to cache.

Lance

http://greetings.yahoo.com

Re: Servlet Filters Proposal]

Posted by Serge Knystautas <se...@lokitech.com>.
Lance,

I'm not sure how far along your cache filter is, but I wrote one based on
OpenSymphony's OSCache system (www.opensymphony.com) and it works rather
well.  Much of the heavy lifting was already done by the OSCache engine as
it was initially built for a JSP tag library, so most all of what I had to
do was improve some threading issues and get the cache to support binary
content and additional response information (like content type and
content-length).

Let me know when you have some code to share, and I'll be happy to look and
maybe help a bit.

Serge Knystautas
http://www.lokitech.com/
Posted by Paulo Gaspar <pa...@krankikom.de>.
My only concern is that we end up having an idea for some
other type of filter, not web servlet related and maybe
even more generic. Then having Servlet filers in a
"o.a.j.commons.filters" will get confusing.

Lets also consider that the official Servlet 2.3 filter
interfaces are placed in the "javax.servlet" package and
not at "javax.filters".

BTW, I would not mind
  "org.apache.jakarta.commons.servlet"

but this would be ok for other web-server related
components too.

Have fun,
Paulo Gaspar

<ma...@jakarta.apache.org>
<ma...@jakarta.apache.org>

Posted by "Craig R. McClanahan" <cr...@apache.org>.
On Tue, 12 Feb 2002, Glenn Nielsen wrote:

> Date: Tue, 12 Feb 2002 10:24:52 -0600
> From: Glenn Nielsen <gl...@voyager.apg.more.net>
> To: Jakarta Commons Developers List <co...@jakarta.apache.org>
> Subject: Re: [Fwd: Servlet Filters Proposal]
>
> I didn't put commons in the package name because some
> feel that commons isn't a good fit for servlet filters,
> and this may become a top level project if there is
> enough interest.
>
> I agree that having "servlet.filters" in the package
> name is pretty generic, but it is an apt and easy
> to remember package name.  Especially since the
> package name will need to be configured in the
> web.xml file.
>
> So far suggested package names are:
>
> org.apache.servlet.filters.{filter-name}
> org.apache.commons.filters.{filter-name}
> org.apache.jakarta.commons.servlet.filters.{filter-name}

While it's in the sandbox (or in jakarta-commons if it gets promoted), the
base package name really needs to follow the Commons conventions (i.e.
"org.apache.commons.filters" for a package named "Filters").  If this is
ever promoted to a full-fledged Jakarta package like Taglibs, it will need
to be repackaged -- this is what happened to Cactus when it was promoted.

Is there really a need for sub-packages for individual filters?  Nearly
all of the ones proposed so far are single classes, so having them
together would seem reasonable -- this is how commons-collections is set
up, and doesn't seem to cause any grief.  For Filters that require some
supporting classes (or where there is a set of Filters that might be used
together), a subpackage is reasonable.

I don't see a need for "servlet.filters" versus "filters" -- the proposal,
and the Javadocs once we have some code -- make it very clear that these
are filters in the Servlet 2.3 sense of the word (i.e. they all implement
javax.servlet.Filter).

> Any other suggestions?
>
> Regards,
>
> Glenn

Craig

Posted by Lavandowska <fl...@yahoo.com>.
--- Glenn Nielsen <gl...@voyager.apg.more.net> wrote:
> So far suggested package names are:
>
> org.apache.servlet.filters.{filter-name}
> org.apache.commons.filters.{filter-name}
> org.apache.jakarta.commons.servlet.filters.{filter-name}

I'm working with the preference for
org.apache.commons.filters.{filter-name} (the .jakarta was an oops)

Another question: my cache filter requires the use of a ResponseWrapper
and a ServletOutputStream wrapper (I imagine several filters will need
such).  Should I place them in the same package, a sub-package, a
wholly separate package?

Thanks,

Lance

Re: [Fwd: Servlet Filters Proposal]