Posted to dev@daffodil.apache.org by Regis Thomas <re...@nteligen.com> on 2020/10/13 16:00:39 UTC

Prospective Daffodil Contributor

Hi All,

I have been using daffodil with a project I have been working on for the past year.  I am interested in contributing to daffodil's further development.  I have had significant experience in Java development, but no Scala development experience.  I was looking at some open issues on the daffodil Jira page, I was wondering if someone could point me to an issue that would allow me to "get my feet wet" in both Scala and daffodil development, and would be simple enough for a beginner.

I was also wondering if anyone had any advice as far as an IDE for Scala development.  I have typically used Eclipse for Java development and Visual Studio for C, C++, and C# development.  Current versions of Eclipse do not seem to support Scala.  Visual Studio also does not support Scala, but VS Code seems to (with the Metals extension).  I haven't worked with VS Code previously, but I assume it is similar to Visual Studio.  A few years back I did some development in NetBeans but nothing recent.  What would you recommend as an IDE for Scala development?

Rege

Re: Prospective Daffodil Contributor

Posted by "Beckerle, Mike" <mb...@owlcyberdefense.com>.
There is eclipse support for scala via "Scala IDE", which is a bundled thing, but is just a version of Eclipse with scala features properly installed.

Note that I had no luck just taking Eclipse and installing scala features myself. I found I had to dowload "Scala IDE" and use it.

However, I have switched primary IDE work to using Intellij IDEA now. The Scala support appears to be a bit more solid. The only snafu I've found with it is that it doesn't cope with symlinks very well. I found that creating projects I have to give it physical path names to the project location, not my preferred paths which contain symlinks.

There are setup instructions for IDEs on our wiki.
https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/DAFFODIL/Eclipse+Tricks+and+Notes
and
https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/DAFFODIL/IntelliJ+IDEA+Setup

________________________________
Posted by Steve Lawrence <sl...@apache.org>.
Welcome!

We have labeled a handful of bugs as "beginner", which we think are good
issues to get ones feet wet. In Jira you can filter on "label" and set a
value of "beginner" to find those issues. We also have a direct link
here to that filter:

  https://s.apache.org/daffodil-beginner

I would suggest reading through those that are currently unassigned and
see if any jump out as interesting. Usually good ones to start with are
things about adding Schema Definition Errors (SDE) since it usually just
means adding a missing check somewhere and are relatively small. For
example DAFFODIL-908:

  https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/DAFFODIL-908

Also note that some bugs are very old  (DAFFODIL-908 is an example).,
and so the behavior may have changed It's possible some of these bugs
are already resolved by other changes and just need to enable tests and
verify that's the case.

Also take a look a the Code Contributor Workflow:

https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/DAFFODIL/Code+Contributor+Workflow

That page walks you through the steps to fork the repo, check it out,
run tests, create branches, pull requests, etc.

- Steve