Posted to users@httpd.apache.org by ru...@optonline.net on 2003/04/26 06:49:06 UTC

[users@httpd] apache children dead(lock)?

Hello,

      I am having a problem with apache children getting "stuck", I
      guess.  The pid doesn't exist, but the entry still exists in the
      scoreboard.  It will sit there for days taking up a slot, until
      I restart the server.  My servers get aproximately 5-25 million
      hits a day, and within a 24 hour period around 225-500 of apache's
      slots are dead in the scoreboard.  This happens on all my
      servers. Most "SS" are all around the same time (seconds from
      initial request) when they get stuck. I determine "dead" by the SS
      in server-status, since it appears that however many dead,
      subtracted from MaxClients, equals the amount of free slots
      available.  I could very well be wrong, but my apache slows to a
      crawl after 24 hours and I can't find out how to fix this.

      Example from server-status <snipped>

667-0 - 0/0/11 .  0.00 99541 0 0.0 0.00 0.02  209.81.123.0 www.aaa.com GET /fsw.php?id=51 HTTP/1.1
668-0 - 0/0/19 .  0.01 99542 0 0.0 0.00 0.05  24.220.178.0 www.aaa.com GET /files/blah.exe HTTP/1.1
669-0 - 0/0/6 .  0.00 99550 0 0.0 0.00 0.02  64.78.82.0 www.aaa.com GET /images/computers.gif HTTP/1.1
670-0 - 0/0/13 .  0.01 99545 0 0.0 0.00 0.02  24.164.134.0 www.aaa.com GET /images/image_02.jpg HTTP/1.1
671-0 - 0/0/8 .  0.00 99544 3 0.0 0.00 0.01  172.175.226.0 www.aaa.com GET /track.php?id=48 HTTP/1.1
672-0 - 0/0/9 .  0.00 99551 3 0.0 0.00 0.00  172.148.188.0 www.aaa.com GET /hrm.php?id=11 HTTP/1.1
673-0 - 0/0/4 .  0.00 99548 0 0.0 0.00 0.01  165.121.86.0 www.aaa.com GET /files/blah.exe HTTP/1.1

    If anyone have any information on why children would stop
    processing requests, your help would be greatly appreciated.
    Restarting apache 3 times a day to get maximum performance isn't
    to my likings :-(

    Also, my scripts are coded well, and most of them are simple.
    Most of the content from my page is in HTML/XML format.

--
Best regards

Re: [users@httpd] apache children dead(lock)?

Posted by Joshua Slive <jo...@slive.ca>.
On Mon, 28 Apr 2003 rulerpen@optonline.net wrote:
> ron> 667-0 - 0/0/11 .  0.00 99541 0 0.0 0.00 0.02  209.81.123.0 www.aaa.com GET /fsw.php?id=51 HTTP/1.1

> ron>     If anyone have any information on why children would stop
> ron>     processing requests, your help would be greatly appreciated.
> ron>     Restarting apache 3 times a day to get maximum performance isn't
> ron>     to my likings :-(

I see nothign particularly strange about that server-status line.  That is
not a "stuck" process, but simply an empty slot, waiting for when a new
process will be needed.

For example, see the one for www.apache.org:
http://www.apache.org[slash]server-status
(url deliberately broken to prevent to much traffic on this very
processor-intensive page)

During very busy periods, apache should be forking new processes to fill
up those slots.  Is that not happening?

Joshua.

Re: [users@httpd] apache children dead(lock)?

Posted by ru...@optonline.net.
Hello rulerpen,

Saturday, April 26, 2003, 12:49:06 AM, you wrote:

ron> Hello,

ron>       I am having a problem with apache children getting "stuck", I
ron>       guess.  The pid doesn't exist, but the entry still exists in the
ron>       scoreboard.  It will sit there for days taking up a slot, until
ron>       I restart the server.  My servers get aproximately 5-25 million
ron>       hits a day, and within a 24 hour period around 225-500 of apache's
ron>       slots are dead in the scoreboard.  This happens on all my
ron>       servers. Most "SS" are all around the same time (seconds from
ron>       initial request) when they get stuck. I determine "dead" by the SS
ron>       in server-status, since it appears that however many dead,
ron>       subtracted from MaxClients, equals the amount of free slots
ron>       available.  I could very well be wrong, but my apache slows to a
ron>       crawl after 24 hours and I can't find out how to fix this.

ron>       Example from server-status <snipped>

ron> 667-0 - 0/0/11 .  0.00 99541 0 0.0 0.00 0.02  209.81.123.0 www.aaa.com GET /fsw.php?id=51 HTTP/1.1
ron> 668-0 - 0/0/19 .  0.01 99542 0 0.0 0.00 0.05  24.220.178.0 www.aaa.com GET /files/blah.exe HTTP/1.1
ron> 669-0 - 0/0/6 .  0.00 99550 0 0.0 0.00 0.02  64.78.82.0 www.aaa.com GET /images/computers.gif HTTP/1.1
ron> 670-0 - 0/0/13 .  0.01 99545 0 0.0 0.00 0.02  24.164.134.0 www.aaa.com GET /images/image_02.jpg HTTP/1.1
ron> 671-0 - 0/0/8 .  0.00 99544 3 0.0 0.00 0.01  172.175.226.0 www.aaa.com GET /track.php?id=48 HTTP/1.1
ron> 672-0 - 0/0/9 .  0.00 99551 3 0.0 0.00 0.00  172.148.188.0 www.aaa.com GET /hrm.php?id=11 HTTP/1.1
ron> 673-0 - 0/0/4 .  0.00 99548 0 0.0 0.00 0.01  165.121.86.0 www.aaa.com GET /files/blah.exe HTTP/1.1

ron>     If anyone have any information on why children would stop
ron>     processing requests, your help would be greatly appreciated.
ron>     Restarting apache 3 times a day to get maximum performance isn't
ron>     to my likings :-(

ron>     Also, my scripts are coded well, and most of them are simple.
ron>     Most of the content from my page is in HTML/XML format.

Still looking for an answer if anyone has a clue. :)

--
Best regards,
 rulerpen                            mailto:rulerpen@optonline.net