Posted to dev@chukwa.apache.org by Marvin <no...@apache.org> on 2013/04/01 17:27:21 UTC

Incubator PMC/Board report for Apr 2013 ([ppmc])

Dear podling,

This email was sent by an automated system on behalf of the Apache Incubator PMC.
It is an initial reminder to give you plenty of time to prepare your quarterly
board report.

The board meeting is scheduled for Wed, 17 April 2013, 10:30:00:00 PST. The report
for your podling will form a part of the Incubator PMC report. The Incubator PMC
requires your report to be submitted 2 weeks before the board meeting, to allow
sufficient time for review and submission (Wed, Apr 3rd).

Please submit your report with sufficient time to allow the incubator PMC, and
subsequently board members to review and digest. Again, the very latest you
should submit your report is 2 weeks prior to the board meeting.

Thanks,

The Apache Incubator PMC

Submitting your Report
----------------------

Your report should contain the following:

 * Your project name
 * A brief description of your project, which assumes no knowledge of the project
   or necessarily of its field
 * A list of the three most important issues to address in the move towards
   graduation.
 * Any issues that the Incubator PMC or ASF Board might wish/need to be aware of
 * How has the community developed since the last report
 * How has the project developed since the last report.

This should be appended to the Incubator Wiki page at:

  http://wiki.apache.org/incubator/April2013

Note: This manually populated. You may need to wait a little before this page is
      created from a template.

Mentors
-------
Mentors should review reports for their project(s) and sign them off on the
Incubator wiki page. Signing off reports shows that you are following the
project - projects that are not signed may raise alarms for the Incubator PMC.

Incubator PMC

Re: Incubator PMC/Board report for Apr 2013 ([ppmc])

Posted by Alan Cabrera <li...@toolazydogs.com>.
On Apr 5, 2013, at 7:21 AM, Jukka Zitting <ju...@gmail.com> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> On Fri, Apr 5, 2013 at 5:00 PM, Alan Cabrera <li...@toolazydogs.com> wrote:
>> With that said, we do need to be transparent in our reporting with respect to
>> the inactivity of the project and the community's decision to graduate in spite
>> of it.
>
> Looking at the decline of dev@ activity over the past few months I'm
> starting to agree with Alan on the issue of graduation/retirement.
> Quoting my message from general@ in November [1]:
>
>    The question here isn't about exact metrics or some predefined level
>    of activity that the project should be able to reach, but rather the
>    trajectory you're on. Is there a reasonable expectation that Chukwa
>    can reverse the downward trend in activity? What are you going to do
>    to make that happen?
>
> Unfortunately the downward trend has continued, and we don't have a
> good idea on how to turn it around or at least keep it stable at the
> levels from say last year.
>
> With over three months since the last non-trivial code change
> (CHUKWA-565) and nearly two months since last bits of development
> discussion (CHUKWA-679), the situation looks much worse than it did at
> the end of last year. I would note this drop in activity in the
> report.
>
> [1] http://markmail.org/message/q75bqeyxg3i5idqo
>
> BR,
>
> Jukka Zitting

Jukka, I've updated the mentor list at the bottom of Chukwa's report.  Would you care to mark the report as reviewed?

Regards,
Alan

Re: Incubator PMC/Board report for Apr 2013 ([ppmc])

Posted by Alan Cabrera <li...@toolazydogs.com>.
On Apr 7, 2013, at 10:59 PM, Eric Yang <er...@gmail.com> wrote:

> I am mentoring two SJSU students for their thesis related to monitoring
> Hadoop with Chukwa.  Their work may bring new insights to continue the
> development.

That's great news!

Regards,
Alan

Re: Incubator PMC/Board report for Apr 2013 ([ppmc])

Posted by ant elder <an...@gmail.com>.
On Tuesday, April 9, 2013, Alan Cabrera <li...@toolazydogs.com> wrote:

> On Apr 8, 2013, at 11:43 PM, ant elder <an...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> On Mon, Apr 8, 2013 at 9:35 PM, Alan Cabrera <li...@toolazydogs.com>
wrote:

>>> will

>> Its not about transparency Alan its about fostering an environment that
>> will encourage participation.
>
> As mentors we also have a responsibility to the ASF and the wider
community to be transparent about the reality of projects.  We shall agree
to disagree.

>>> mentor

>>> metrics that we all agree on as to what constitutes a viable project.
>>>>

>> Lets have that discussion general@. One thing we can do is look at past
new
>> TLPs to see how low activity has been to be accepted in the past.

>>> passage that explicitly states that the community is concerned about the
>>> lack of activity and is taking measures to attempt to remedy the
situation.

>>> I've added these bits:
>>>
>>> Three most important issues to address in the move towards graduation:
>>>
>>>  1. Chukwa wiki is currently hosted in Hadoop subproject, it may be good
>>> to move it fully independent of Hadoop wiki.
>>>  2. Overall activity is dwindling.  The podling needs to grow its active
>>> community.
>>>
>>> Any issues that the Incubator PMC (IPMC) or ASF Board wish/need to be
>>> aware of?
>>>
>>>  * The podling is still working on increasing community activity.  It's
>>> hoped that the addition of three new committers will help.
>>>
>>> Feel free to voice your opinion if you disagree with these entries.
>>>

>> I've made a slight tweak to have it sound less negative.
>
> The change completely removed the concern about the dwindling activity
that two mentors, and I'm sure that others, are now recently concerned
about.  I will put it back.

The change was just to replace'dwindled' with 'low' which is consistent
with how other poddlings describe these sort of things. Whatever.

There was a discussion on general@ a while back where consensus was mentors
should leave the text of the report to the poddling and if mentors desired
they could add their own comments at the end with the shepherd comments. I
think that approach might work better here so let's try it for the next
reports.

  ...ant

Re: Incubator PMC/Board report for Apr 2013 ([ppmc])

Posted by Alan Cabrera <li...@toolazydogs.com>.

Posted by ant elder <an...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Jukka Zitting <ju...@gmail.com>.
Hi,

On Mon, Apr 8, 2013 at 11:35 PM, Alan Cabrera <li...@toolazydogs.com> wrote:
> I've added these bits:

Looks good, thanks. Signed off.

BR,

Jukka Zitting

Re: Incubator PMC/Board report for Apr 2013 ([ppmc])

Posted by Alan Cabrera <li...@toolazydogs.com>.

Posted by Alan Cabrera <li...@toolazydogs.com>.

Posted by ant elder <an...@gmail.com>.
I don't think talking on the dev list about retirement is helpful, it will
discourage people from participating. There is no imminent threat of
retirement. Poddlings can continue on in the Incubator as long as they need
so long as there are still mentors willing, I'm happy to continue as mentor
here for as long as needed, so so can Chukwa. Lets talk about things in
terms of whats needed to graduate.

There are plenty of small and relatively inactive existing ASF TLP's and
similar poddlings have graduated in the past and continue to exist ok.

Chukwa has shown continual activity here for 4 years so i don't think there
is any worry that the main participants are about to abandon it. Activity
has been low recently but people are still here doing things and helping
users. Ariel's mail here -
http://apache.markmail.org/message/5a3qmaph5bibxcqd - has a good summary of
the situation, but even like that there have been several past contributors
this quarter made new committers.

Lets wait and see how the two SJSU students turn out. Also, as Ariel
comments in the email link above doing another release would be a good way
to help others to engage and increase activity levels. It would be
interesting to hear from other mentors what so of activity levels they
would like to see. It might also be worth looking at some of the
alternative approaches to traditional incubation that have been discussed
on general@ recently.

   ...ant

Posted by Eric Yang <er...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Jukka Zitting <ju...@gmail.com>.
Hi,

Posted by Alan Cabrera <li...@toolazydogs.com>.
On Apr 5, 2013, at 1:46 AM, ant elder <an...@gmail.com> wrote:

> Thanks Eric, looks good to me.
>
> Under the issues left before graduation it mentions that wiki item, i don't
> think that necessarily needs to hold up graduation, so i wonder is there
> anything else at all left  that needs to happen? Chuwka isn't a big fast
> moving poddling, but thats ok, i think its shown it would survive ok. What
> do others here think?

I hold a different opinion, which everyone knows.  I'll most likely vote against graduation but I'll probably be out voted.  No worries!  No need to gain consensus on my behalf; we shall simply agree to disagree.  :)

Posted by ant elder <an...@gmail.com>.
Thanks Eric, looks good to me.

Posted by Eric Yang <er...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Alan Cabrera <li...@toolazydogs.com>.