Posted to server-user@james.apache.org by Vincenzo Gianferrari Pini <vi...@praxis.it> on 2003/02/14 12:37:36 UTC

TLS, SMTP and messages coming/going from/to outside world

Reading the documentation, I understand (am I right?) that if a James
service is configured to use TLS with the "useTLS" element, it will accept
*only* TLS connections.

Now suppose we enable TLS on the SMTP service: it's OK for the email clients
(we may ask/force the customers to connect thru TLS), but what will happen
to messages coming from the outside world? And to messages sent to the
outside world? Will our James server require that they support TLS too?

Thanks,

Vincenzo

RE: How to turn on logging for JDBC driver

Posted by "Noel J. Bergman" <no...@devtech.com>.
> I am using James with Jaybird. It seems to be good.
> I want to write Jaybird's log to file by using log4j.
> Please show me how to do!

The Jaybird JDBC driver is part of the Firebird SQL server.  Your can find
that project on SourceForge: http://firebird.sourceforge.net/.  If you want
their JDBC driver to log with log4j, you'll have to download and change
their code, or ask them.

> java.sql.SQLException: invalid column index

You might want to make sure that the default SQL strings in sqlResources.xml
are suitable for Firebird.  If not, please feel free to submit updates.

	--- Noel

How to turn on logging for JDBC driver

Posted by Huu Phuoc <ph...@ssp.com.vn>.
I am using James with Jaybird. It seems to be good. When I used the Remote
manager , then used listusers,it returned the right result. Then, I used
adduser, it return " The connection host lost". I checked logs/stderr.log .
I found that:
 java.sql.SQLException: invalid column index
 at
org.firebirdsql.jdbc.FBPreparedStatement.getField(FBPreparedStatement.java:2
36)
 at
org.firebirdsql.jdbc.FBPreparedStatement.setString(FBPreparedStatement.java:
210)
 at
org.apache.james.userrepository.AbstractJdbcUsersRepository.getUserByName(Ab
stractJdbcUsersRepository.java:486)
 at
org.apache.james.userrepository.AbstractUsersRepository.contains(AbstractUse
rsRepository.java:235)
 at
org.apache.james.remotemanager.RemoteManagerHandler.doADDUSER(RemoteManagerH
andler.java:447)
 at
org.apache.james.remotemanager.RemoteManagerHandler.parseCommand(RemoteManag
erHandler.java:390)
 at
org.apache.james.remotemanager.RemoteManagerHandler.handleConnection(RemoteM
anagerHandler.java:291)
 at
org.apache.james.util.connection.ServerConnection$ClientConnectionRunner.run
(ServerConnection.java:404)
 at
org.apache.avalon.excalibur.thread.impl.ExecutableRunnable.execute(Executabl
eRunnable.java:47)
 at
org.apache.avalon.excalibur.thread.impl.WorkerThread.run(WorkerThread.java:8
0)
I try to overcome .Finally, I gave up and find your help. I want to write
Jaybird's log to file by using log4j. Please show me how to do! Thank you
very much.

RE: TLS, SMTP and messages coming/going from/to outside world

Posted by Vincenzo Gianferrari Pini <vi...@praxis.it>.
> > You mean I can write several <smtpserver>, <pop3server> etc
> blocks in the
> > same config.xml file?
> >

> Yes, but you must
> - give each block a unique name and say smtpserver1, smtpserver2 etc.
> - have corresponding block entries in assembly.xml.
>
> Harmeet

Perfect, thank you very much for the help.

Perhaps there should be a little hint in the documentation, unless it is
"hidden" somewhere ;-)

Thank you again, Harmeet

Vincenzo

Re: TLS, SMTP and messages coming/going from/to outside world

Posted by Harmeet Bedi <ha...@kodemuse.com>.

Posted by Vincenzo Gianferrari Pini <vi...@praxis.it>.

Posted by Harmeet Bedi <ha...@kodemuse.com>.