Posted to dev@karaf.apache.org by Oliver Wulff <ow...@talend.com> on 2016/04/04 08:58:49 UTC

Feedback for Canceling Decanter 1.1.0

Hi there

I'd like to give some feedback regarding the discussion in the vote for Decanter 1.1.0.

It's a nice feature to install kibana and the elasticsearch node within the same JVM as Karaf, but really only for demo purposes. Elastic doesn't recommend and support to bundle elasticsearch node within another JVM. Further, elastic recommends to run elasticsearch node isolated on a dedicated machine (!) where even nothing else is running to benefit of the low level features used by elasticsearch.

https://www.elastic.co/guide/en/elasticsearch/reference/current/setup-configuration.html

[https://www.elastic.co/static/img/elastic-logo-200.png]<https://www.elastic.co/guide/en/elasticsearch/reference/current/setup-configuration.html>

Configuration - Elastic<https://www.elastic.co/guide/en/elasticsearch/reference/current/setup-configuration.html>
www.elastic.co
Environment Variablesedit. Within the scripts, Elasticsearch comes with built in JAVA_OPTS passed to the JVM started. The most important setting for that is the -Xmx ...

Same applies for Kibana 4 dashboards. Usually, you have an elasticsearch cluster and server hosting the kibana application.

What I wanted to say is that whether kibana 4 works in Karaf or not is not really relevant for a production deployment.

Finally, yes, we were very keen on the release 1.1.0 as it brings kafka with SSL support. We successfully tested this already with the snapshot version.

Do you have a rough idea when the next vote is planned?

I'd recommend to use Kibana 4.5 as it brings support for custom labels and colour customization (already in 4.4). The pre-condition is ES 2.3.

Thanks

Oli

Re: AW: Feedback for Canceling Decanter 1.1.0

Posted by Achim Nierbeck <bc...@googlemail.com>.
Hi,

sorry, but since we already have all objects in the grasp of the jvm I
still regard it faster and safer to go the transport-client way of using
the one
embedded elasticsearch node. Even if it's only 4% "faster" I still think
it's better to use the embedded one. And you didn't see the last benefit of
using the embedded node for the internal setup of the kibana dashboard,
wherever the Kibana server resides.

regards, Achim

--

Apache Member
Project Lead

AW: AW: Feedback for Canceling Decanter 1.1.0

Posted by Achim Nierbeck <bc...@googlemail.com>.
Hi,

Posted by Jean-Baptiste Onofré <jb...@nanthrax.net>.

--
Jean-Baptiste Onofré
jbonofre@apache.org

Re: AW: Feedback for Canceling Decanter 1.1.0

Posted by Jean-Baptiste Onofré <jb...@nanthrax.net>.
I will add a note for sure.

As I said to Oli, all depends which kind of production we are talking
about ;)
A large scale production, sharing elasticsearch and kibana with
different middleware, I fully agree.
A medium scale production, or only monitoring solution for Karaf itself,
I think people don't care: they want something easy, straight forward,
all in Karaf.
So, maybe we have a biased see on production regarding our experience
with this layer ;)

The good point with Decanter is that we address both ;)

Regards
JB

--
Jean-Baptiste Onofré
jbonofre@apache.org

Re: AW: Feedback for Canceling Decanter 1.1.0

Posted by Christian Schneider <ch...@die-schneider.net>.
On 04.04.2016 10:13, Oliver Wulff wrote:
> Hi JB
>
> What you bring is right but users may have different standpoint: lot of
> people just wants to use decanter as a blackbox solution with
> elasticsearch and kibana embedded.
> I understand this point but we should at least mention in the documentation that it's not the recommended approach to emebed an elasticsearch node within a JVM.
>
> Thanks
> Oli

I fully agree to add a warning. For demos it makes sense to embed es and
kibana but for production it is not a good idea.
I think for production it might make sense to co locate an elastic
search node on the same machine but I would not do it in the same vm.

Christian

--
Christian Schneider
http://www.liquid-reality.de

Open Source Architect
http://www.talend.com

AW: Feedback for Canceling Decanter 1.1.0

--
Jean-Baptiste Onofré
jbonofre@apache.org

Re: Feedback for Canceling Decanter 1.1.0

Posted by Jean-Baptiste Onofré <jb...@nanthrax.net>.
Hi Oli,

--
Jean-Baptiste Onofré